1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports freelancer placement site developing

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by 5AMBIZ, May 3, 2010.

1. 5AMBIZ

5AMBIZ New Member

Hi.
    We are working on creating a new sports freelancer placement site online. We are looking for writers to add to our roster. When papers and web site contact us with potential jobs, we will get with you! Takes the headache out of you trolling for work in your area and relieves them of the headache of calling around trying to find you.
    This is still in the development phase. If you are interested, please email your resume to:

ATTN: STRINGER CENTRAL
    5AMbizservices@gmail.com

thanks!
    Mike

2. ringer

ringer Active Member

Nice idea, but who's "we?"

3. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

that's what I wuz wonderin'

4. Canadian Kevin

Canadian Kevin New Member

I was wondering the same thing. Can you provide us with more information?

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Third one of these this year.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Just a heads up kids: I don't know squat about this particular company, but in the past I've been suckered into giving ones like it my resume. More importantly, my resume had contact info at the top. Within days, I was receiving emails, snail mails and phone calls for BS products and services.
    Make sure you find out who these guys are before you send your stuff.

7. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

The other two I think you are referring to -- Sports Media Exchange and Teamworks Press -- are both ligit ... would be a good idea for the 5AMBiz folks to tell us more about their intentions ... not much money to be made in being a stringer broker ...

8. nmsports

nmsports Member

Not too much money these days in being a stringer, either. Unfortunately.
    BTW, I can also vouch for SME. I worked for them. They paid promptly (most important), and were well organized.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good advice.

Mike, might be time for some more info please.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

As a full-time freelancer, I disagree. I'm not rolling a Bentley, but I'm not also riding the Ramen Train.

Regardless: Anyone heard anything about these cats, one way or the other?

11. nmsports

nmsports Member

When the local paper eliminates its freelance/stringer budget, it makes things a whole lot more difficult. True, I rode that gravy train for too long.

12. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

I'm not saying you're wrong and that won't happen, but newspapers would be beyond stupid to eliminate the free lance budget. In many cases, you get more bang for your buck hiring a freelancer than using/hiring a full-time employee.

Draft saved Draft deleted