1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editors: Email applications vs. Hard Copy?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sportswriter2327, Sep 18, 2007.

1. captzulu

captzulu Member

Yeah, that is a good point. Sometimes it just boggles the mind how far behind newspapers' technology is compared to other fields, especially when you consider the size of the product being churned out with that technology every day. I guess you could always sign up for a G-mail account and list that as the contact address for job applicants.

2. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Couldn't you just have your work e-mail address forward to a g-mail account? That way, you give out your work address (i.e. joe@herald.com), but in actuality it forwards to gmail. I know some people who do it, but am not sure how common it is.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Can I ask a favor?
    If it says no phone calls, please don't call.
    Please.

4. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Sorry to drag this back up.

What if you send a hard copy of your resume and cover letter but a CD with your PDF files on it?
    My ME told me he prefers this but obviously it's different everywhere.

I did see a guy once send the entire sports section with his articles circled. I thought that was funny. Dude had been in the business for a while too.

5. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I send a PDF with 19 pages of pure text. It comes in at 220kb, a far cry from the 5MB people are talking about. I'm going to ruffle some feathers...but...if the editor isn't willing/able to receive a PDF or has such strict rules that it's not an option, you might be better off applying somewhere else. And do send a short head's up e-mail saying "hey, I have a great PDF of my clips and resume. Is it okay for me to send it over?"

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I have applied at places where they want either one. The goal is that they want to see that you have been published.

Draft saved Draft deleted