1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editors, Atlanta, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Sports Editors in metro Atlanta area wanted for the Neighbor Newspapers, a group of weekly newspapers in the metro Atlanta area. We are looking for smart and hungry journalists eager to get their feet wet in the newspaper business. Candidates must have a college degree or equivalent major, as well as experience with their college newspaper and/or an internship. Local candidates will be considered above all others. You must have reliable transportation. Send a resume and clips to: Mark W. Maguire, mmaguire@neighbornewspapers.com. NO PHONE CALLS.

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

So Mark changed his last name and went into the Newspaper biz to get away from congress and the steroid questions?

3. spud

spud Member

They're asking for sports editors right out of college?

This is new.

4. RedSmithClone

CHEAP MONEY!

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Wow...the sacrifices that are being made to save $5-$10K...crazy. What a great philosophy....let's hire anyone that will work for beginner wages. Sounds like a great plan to expand readership in a challenging time when staff needs to be skilled in more areas than any time before.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

[quote author=link=topic=67139.msg2337660#msg2337660 date=1235379094]
    [​IMG]
    [/quote]
    "We are looking for smart and hungry journalists eager to get their feet wet in the newspaper business."
    That my friends, is a warning sign.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This is not new. Otis and his band of idiots were doing that when I worked there decades ago. These are the little weeklies affiliated with the infamous Marietta Daily Journal, and these jobs (I think most of them are still one-man sports staffs)are even worse than the ones at the MDJ. Otis hires right out of college because those are the only people gullible enough to work for him and naive enough to think they can make this into a good job.

There are a million threads warning people to run away at top speed from Otis, the MDJ and the Neighbor papers. I suggest anyone considering this job do a search and read them.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

They're crap weekly papers. Most places like that hire out of college. It's not like the AJ-C is hiring someone fresh out of Georgia State to take Ronnie Ramos's spot.

That's not to say these aren't good or bad jobs, I don't have the foggiest other than by what others say, but it's hardly unprecedented that they're hire kids to take one man army gigs for their non-dailies.

9. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Truer words have never been uttered.

10. RedSmithClone

What does this have to do with cow utters?

11. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I'll echo these statements too, with one small caveat ...

Depending on your situation, and if you're jobless and already in the Atlanta area, the Neighbor jobs might be a better option than the MDJ for you. Now, I'll acknowledge that's truly feint praise, somewhat akin to saying a kick in the head is better than a kick in the balls. But you'll probably see a bit less meddling in your work at the Neighbors, only because the brass doesn't give half a shit what gets printed in those papers.

Of course, you'll get paid better if you can find an assistant mid-shift manager job at Popeye's, and you'll have fewer headaches, so that might be a better option for you. But I'm just saying, in this job market, going here might not be quite as unspeakable as it was a couple of years ago. For God's sake, don't move to Atlanta for this gig. But if you're already here and this is something you might do to bring in a steady paycheck while you look for something else, perhaps it could be considered.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

What's with all the "stay far away" crap. For someone who wants a fucking paycheck, here's your chance.

Draft saved Draft deleted