1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

That's the tablefucker.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Yeah, Kevin Baxter is suing the paper. That is going to get real ugly.

Yah, the table lover worked at The Register, but was fired.

3. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

I'd echo Bob's sentiments...steer clear. Heard the SE that was just let go because of a spat with some junior high swim parents about coverage. The JH swim parents were good friends of the publisher.

4. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

Out of curiousity, I sent a resume when this one was posted annonymously. I kinda thought it could be Sandusky. I finally got a call about a week ago. I was asked if I remembered the ad I applied to. I didn't tell him I applied not knowing were I was applying, but I was honest in that I didn't really remember the specifics considering I had applied two months before and had pretty much forgotten about it by that time. I was interviewed on the phone for about 15 minutes and was told I'd receive a call back and that I should look at the ad again and to check out fandy.com and be prepared to say why I'd be the best candidate for the job. I desparately want to leave where I currently work. However, the way everyone describes this, it doesn't sound much better. Plus, I'm not thrilled about the whole hiring process that has gone on. Anyone have any thoughts?

5. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Actually, there's water back in the lake now, it was just gutted last year after the floodings.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Unless your work in Hell, steer clear. The devil you know, and all that.

Not exactly sure why this didn't work out for Gilles, but I've heard things.

If the ME didn't thrill you over the phone, I'm sure he won't in person. They've have a string of idiots at the ME spot for the better part of a decade.

7. AwesomeDawson8

AwesomeDawson8 New Member

My phone call experience was pretty much the exact same except it lasted about 35 minutes. He seemed pretty perturbed when I said it had more than a month since I had applied and didn't really recall the ad (plus I was driving so it was hard to look it up on the Internets pretty quick). He also told me that the photo editor and interim sports editor would be in contact with me, but that yet to occur, so either there have been delays in the hiring or I was cut. Don't know who has or has not had similar experiences.

8. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

Yeah, actually I was told the same about getting calls from those people. I believe I've probably covered games with the interim sports editor, although I don't know him at all. But at any rate, no calls back for me either, although I'm not disappointed by that.

9. Kmac7

Kmac7 Member

interesting...

10. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I was waiting for the SE job in Gary, Ind., to open up. Thought I had hit the jackpot. Shucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted