1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Willmar, Minnesota

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by johann, Jun 10, 2011.

1. johann

johann Guest

" ... right in the heart of west central Minnesota..."

Company: West Central Tribune
    Position: Sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: July 15, 2011
    Job ID: 1260725

Description:

The West Central Tribune is seeking a dynamic sports editor to lead its sports coverage of traditional and non-traditional sports in west central Minnesota. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated passion for sports - traditional, recreational and outdoors - and the ability to lead our sports team in an all-platform approach.
    Strong communication, organization, editing, design and digital skills are needed for our local sports coverage, which includes breaking news online, game coverage, enterprise reporting, blogging, photos and video. We are looking for a sports leader, who is a team player, is dedicated, will learn new skills and has the ability to teach and grow our sports staff.
    A 15,000-circ AM newspaper, the Tribune provides the local news coverage for west central Minnesota high schools, Ridgewater College, amateur and Legions baseball teams, and a Northwoods League baseball team. Minnesota pro sports are also part of our coverage package.
    The newspaper is located in Willmar, Minn., right in the heart of west central Minnesota, where the state's lake region begins and the Minnesota River flows. Willmar is a regional city, located 90 miles from the Twin Cities. The newspaper is part of the Forum Communications Co., which owns 32 newspapers in the upper Midwest.
    To find out more about our newspaper, visit www.wctrib.com, mobile.wctrib.com and www.forumcomm.com.
    To apply, send a cover letter, resume and references, along with writing and design samples via email to: kboldan@wctrib.com or by U.S. mail to: Kelly Boldan, Editor, West Central Tribune, PO BX 839, Willmar, MN 56201.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

A high school classmate works as a cop there. It's owned by Forum Comm., you could do a lot worse. They have decent men's and women's basketball programs at the community college. It's not too far from St. Cloud. That's all I've got.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

They also just advertised for a sports reporter/photographer.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/83841/

4. My first job was at a weekly out where this was the "big" daily of the area. It's been 6+ years, I'm at a daily a few hundred miles away and I haven't seen the print product since leaving...but coverage outside of Willmar was essentially limited to boxes and a few graphs back in 2005; features were uncommon (and I still got scooped once... :-[ ). Given the sorry state of newspaper financials, I've got to imagine it has likely been scaled back even more since then.

I can't speak to the rest of the staff, whatever it might be for a 15k circ, but outgoing sports editor Scott Thoma seemed like a good guy whenever I bumped into him. Anyone know where he went? He was older, but I don't think he was old enough to retire yet...especially on what we're all getting paid these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted