1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by phoenixrising08, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I would suspect soon. Spring training. Final Four. NBA and NHL playoffs Redskins and Ravens draft and OTAs coming around within the next six months. Lot of quick decision need to be made.

2. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

They're also looking for a page designer: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1227424

The Washington Times is seeking an experienced and versatile page designer to join its fast-paced universal news desk that produces news, features and sports pages.

The ideal candidate will possess exceptional news judgment, strong skills in content- driven design, the ability to meet tight deadlines and strong skills in copy editing.

Applicants must have three years' experience working at a daily newspaper. The position requires working nights.

Please e-mail cover letter, resume and design samples to careers@washingtontimes.com.

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I'm wondering what kind of tack the sports section will take. Certainly it would be silly to try to compete head-to-head with the Post. I'm guessing it will rely a lot on opinion and features, sort of the old "PM" philosophy. Will they invest the money to cover preps, too?

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don't think it'd make sense for them. The Post does schools very well and given the transient nature of the population in D.C., especially the population (politicos) they've generally targeted, there isn't as much to be gotten from it.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Nice to see they're bringing the sports section back, but how many talented writers did they lose when they dumped it over the summer? Whoever made that decision should be looking for work, as well.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I disagree. They have to develop a strong base and preps is the easiest way to do so. However, being that D.C. is a big pro sports and college town, there's no question that those areas have to be covered well if the section and the paper is to survive.

7. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

I'm almost positive they will go with the contract writer/editor and freelancer model. I'll be shocked if more than 3 or 4 FT'ers with benefits hired -- and those will be editors. No way they are going to start budgeting several million dollars in salaries alone for a complete metro sports staff.

8. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Several million in salaries? Um, no.

When they folded, TWT had 25 full-timers and a part-timer. If the average salary was above $50K, I'd be very surprised.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How did that break down management/writers/desk?

10. secretariat

More than half were writers. Three ASEs. The rest were desk. And the part-timer split duties between desk and writing.

11. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

First, I think your numbers are off for an expensive market like Washington, D.C. You can assume the columnists and sports editors all had to be making around a minimum of 80K-plus, and probably closer to six figures. To get to your average of 50K people at the bottom end had to be making as little as 20-25K. Hard to believe that. Even AOL Patch pays better than that.

But for the sake of argument, let's go with your average of 50K:

Twenty-five FT staffers at $40K each equals $1.25 million in salary. Add another 30 percent for benefits, workman's comp, etc. and now we're at somewhere around $1.6 million. And again, I think that number is way low. Even still it's doubtful the paper would be willing to add another $1.6 million in sports department salaries.

12. secretariat

No, my numbers are not off. You are wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.