1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Victoria (Texas) Advocate

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Steak Snabler, May 30, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

From journalismjobs.com:

Do you have what it takes to create one of the nation's best community sports sections? If so, we want to hear from you. While most of the industry is mired in a downward spiral, we’re a progressive, family-owned company that sees the opportunities for growth. We’re on a quest to be one of the best community newspapers and digital delivery systems in the country. We're looking for a sports editor who swings for the fences -- thorough prep coverage, nontraditional sports stories, and in-depth features -- and carries a good batting average. Ability to speak Spanish a plus. We’re a 34,000-circulation daily in south Texas about 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. We’re close to the beach and the big, fun cities of Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi and Houston. To join our team, send your résumé, work samples and cover letter to the Victoria Advocate, attention Editor Chris Cobler, at either ccobler@vicad.com or mail to 311 E. Constitution, Victoria, TX 77901.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=979477

---

About all I know about Victoria is that it's Stone Cold Steve Austin's hometown. Maybe someone else on the board can shed more light on this situation ...

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Don't know anything about Victoria ... but I used to be the assistant sports editor at the Brownsville Herald, in the Valley, in the late 1990s. Victoria is at the northern end of what's considered South Texas... near Corpus Christi.

Texas is football-mad ... other sports too, but not as much. A quick look at their website reveals that they have what looks to be an amateur college team starting play this summer ... you know, one of those Northern League/Cape Cod League things ..

Looks like they also have the University of Houston-Victoria, and Trinity College to cover. Not sure how many high schools..

Cost of living was low in that area when I was there ... It's brutally hot nine months a year. That's all I can think of ..

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Home of "Stone Cold" Steve Austin.

[​IMG]

"If you wanna be sports editor at the Victoria Advocate, gimme a 'Hell, yeah!'"

4. thebigd

thebigd Member

This job was filled less than a year ago if memory serves me correct. Any body have an idea of pay and cost of living?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

You are right. The job was filled fairly recently. While Victoria itself is a pretty stable community, a job at the Advocate apparently isn't. People do have a tendacy to stay for a minute and leave. The circumstances of their departure differ but through it all, the paper has stayed.

6. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

Victoria's a nice little community and the editor Chris Cobler is very forward-thinking. He's huge into the multimedia craze and the paper's one of the finest community papers in the state.

7. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

Word from sources close the BYUSportsGuy say they finally made their SE hire today... congrats to whomever got this gig!

8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Congrats to the new guy. It's a great gig and the management is very professional. The resources there are pretty sweet, too.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Why do people keep doing this? Deskslave smash!

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Good for whomever got it. I wrote this one off about a month ago after receiving no response to my application ... Good news for somebody, however.

11. esport12

esport12 Member

Real quality establishment.

12. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

Found out who it was...Cedric Ingleheart from the Harker Heights (TX) Evening Star. He was an editor, page designer, sold ads, and even delivered the paper, if needed. Sounds like a small-town guy. Anyone know anything about him?

Draft saved Draft deleted