1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Van Wert, OH

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Dec 20, 2006.

1. boots

boots New Member

SPORTS EDITOR – If you enjoy covering high school athletes, here is an opportunity to run your own show in a sports-crazy market. As our sports editor, you will cover games, recruit and direct a small group of stringers to assist with coverage, edit copy, layout pages (Quark), take digital photographs, and work with our new Internet-based, multi-media product and resources. You get to work with good equipment, including an I-Mac G5 and Nikon D70 camera, and you get to direct the sports report in collaboration with an experienced editor. The successful candidate will be able to build solid relationships with coaches and athletic directors and create a balanced report, featuring all sports at five local high schools. You also will play a key role in increasing coverage of youth sports and adult recreational activities. This is an ideal opportunity to work in print and digital media, including Webcast activities. To apply, please send your resume and a letter of application, including your compensation requirements, to Cindy Wood, editor, at PO Box 271, Van Wert, OH 45891, or forward them by e-mail to cwood@timesbulletin.com. The Times Bulletin is an equal opportunity employer. It is part of the Brown Publishing Co. group of newspapers and offers a smoke-free workplace and full complement of benefits.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

At least they're upbeat.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Insane.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

I need a coffee break just reading the ad. Who would spend tens of thousands to get a college degree and want to do dive into this?

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Someone unemployed.

6. I was offered the job before the latest sports editor. Turned it down for a number of reasons, two of which being offered the job before not visiting the town and a short turn-around time (couldn't get out of my current situation and get into Ohio in two days time).
    Good people up there though, just wasn't for the wife and me. They have also gone through quite a few sports editors in recent years.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Just because someone's probably wondering out there, what was the pay range that they offered you?

8. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

i'm guessing low 30s

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'll guess lower than that. The fact that the joint was willing to offer to someone (presumably) before they interviewed him/her in-person and asked for someone to pick up and move within two days are major red flags.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I would guess more like low 20s. No listing of circulation on ABC, but it can't be more than 10K.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

6,386 to be exact.

12. Just because someone's probably wondering out there, what was the pay range that they offered you?
    [/quote]

If I remember correctly, it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $25K give or take a thousand.

Draft saved Draft deleted