1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Valdosta, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by rat fink, Dec 9, 2007.

1. rat fink

rat fink New Member

From Monster.com
    http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=65724628&JobTitle=Sports+Editor&q=editor&lid=942&brd=1&cy=us&vw=b&AVSDM=2007-11-29+17%3a36%3a00&pg=1&seq=1

SPORTS EDITOR NEEDED!

Sports Editor in one of the South's most exciting sports markets!
    High School sports programs second to none.
    University program, too.

20,000 seven-day Georgia daily seeks a dynamic, energetic leader for a three-person staff. Applicant should be experienced in Quark Xpress layout and photographic skills are a plus.

Previous journalism/editorial experience is required.

email: jkillion@cnhi.com

Complete benefit package including medical and 401K available.
    This is a drug free employer.

2. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

although it was what seems like ages ago, I actually got my start in the business at this place as a stringer - it was my hometown paper.

PM me for questions.

3. rat fink

rat fink New Member

This is interesting on many fronts. The Valdosta job has been "open" for a while. However, CNHI is in a "hiring freeze."
    There is a good chance that this is a fishing expedition to see who's out there looking. There is also a chance that the freeze has been lifted.
    At any rate, its a good gig and can be a great springboard for other opportunities.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And they're not kidding about the quality of the sports. Lowndes will host the Class AAAAA state championship game this weekend, the same weekend Valdosta State will play for the Division II national title.

5. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

as an aside, it's also home to Lowndes' rival, Valdosta, winners of 23 state titles and 7 mythical national titles...so yea, football is kind of a big deal there. There are scenes from Friday Night Lights that seem like carbon copies of some stuff that happened in Valdosta, especially the Wal-Mart scene in the movie.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

from what i understand, cnhi is a tough gig at any level.

7. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

Any CNHI joint is going to try and kill you, underpay you, devalue you, and use you. Not in any particular order.

But then from the looks of this board, there's not many options for work.

Sad.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and an earnest ho, ho, ho to you, too.

9. rat fink

rat fink New Member

CNHI didn't corner the market on this. To be honest, there isn't a paper in this country that truly pays its employees what they're worth.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes, but some folks do a better job than others.

11. rat fink

rat fink New Member

true but those aren't the folks hiring.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but there still are places that don't treat people like the jrcs and cnhis of the world. why work for them if you don't have to?

Draft saved Draft deleted