1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor/Tillamook Headlight Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Philkaplan, May 8, 2011.

1. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

The Tillamook Headlight Herald, on the north Oregon coast, is looking for a sports editor.
    It's a weekly that distributes throughout Tillamook County.
    Samantha Swindler, who is editor and publisher, is looking for someone who can be a one woman or one man shop - lay out pages, cover local high school sports and summer features, as well as shoot photos and video.

Contact Samantha Swindler at sswindler@countrymedia.net.

2. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Can someone tell me where the incredibly good dude who had this job before is off to?

Also, anyone can PM me on this one.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You get to cover the Cheesemakers. What more do you need to know? :)

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Actually I think the teams are known as the Mooks now... leaving that feared Cheesemaker name to Monroe, Wisc. :)

Very familiar with the area; I have family there; my dad graduated from the school; my cousin was a three-time state wrestling champion there in the late 1980s who just missed out on a fourth title.

If you can handle almost year-round rain, it's pretty country. Don't know much about the schools nowadays or the paper.

5. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

"Cheesemakers" and "Mooks" are interchangeable, last I knew.

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

One of my first interviews out of college...had a couple at the coastal papers. Probably the biggest benefit of this job is living on the coast if you like that range...don't think California beaches though...it's rainy and wet, but you are on the ocean :)

7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I love it out there. There are two openings now in Western Oregon for SEs. Any relation there?

8. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

No. Tillamook is owned by Country Media. Best I can tell, Grants Pass is independently owned. (correct me if I'm wrong)

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted