1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, The Robesonian

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

General advice for jobseekers everywhere: Trust the scouting report.
    My boys laid out a very detailed description of what life would be like at 1HP, and I dismissed it.
    Ma Herald was all smiles during the recruiting, said all the right things. After I said yes, she ran all over my ass for the next four years. Just like my boys said she would.
    This ain't 1HP, obviously, but the lesson is the same.
    I shoulda trusted the scouting report.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Would anyone else agree that Donnie is a little out of his element here?

(OK, joking over, back to people posting productive things.)

3. rossyb

rossyb New Member

Trust the scouting report!!

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Things on here should be taken with a grain of salt and the knowledge that opinions and experiences vary, and hiring managers probably should do themselves a favor and not necessarily take everything personally.

That said, however, people on here do have professional connections, and, often, they do know things, and have experienced them. To believe that everything on here is pure hearsay, and that where there is smoke, there is never fire, just because people happen to use anonymous handles, would be a mistake.

Particularly on the jobs board, where posters usually are more careful about what they write, people often are trying to make genuine, serious contributions that should at least be taken into consideration.

The fact that they actually may be compelled to write something as important as information relating to a job, paper, area or something relating to any of that, on the basis of often-personal, real-life information that has the potential to be traced back to them, clearly shows that.

5. donnie

donnie New Member

I actually agree. But you might be wise to know who is offering the information and why they are posting, and even why they keep saying the same thing over and over. Might there be an agenda? Anytime someone applies here I encourage them to talk to people who have worked here, not just names of people I provide, but they can google past reporters, sports reporters, etc, and find them easily enough. Because of this board, one guy has already called Joe Myers, the person who is leaving. Joe has no obligation to me; he can say what he wants to. Dukeman said I was "great" to work for. One poster has said otherwise, and he has said it about seven times on this thread and once on another. That might tell you something.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I would think/hope anyone with a lick of sense weighs an anonymous blast for what it is worth. Does it provide a question or two you should ask? Sure. Should it be a deal-breaker? If it is, the company you didn't apply to is better for it.
    I've heard/read many stories about career men doing wonderful things at smaller papers. I've often wondered if that's the route I should have taken, or should take still. I love a great community newspaper, perhaps more than a dazzling big daily.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Amen, Moddy. I'm at one of those small, community-oriented daily papers and I'm quite satisfied.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

And in case you haven't noticed, the smaller papers are hiring. The bigger papers are cutting.
    Just saying.....

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes...well-stated guys...finding a good family-owned community gig is a nice fit for a lot of us...me included. Hoping to relocate and find such a place for my family to settle in for the long haul. The future for community-type publications doesn't seem near as dark as the challenges facing the big-city dailies.

As for the board...getting info first hand and making your judgments from that is always the best route, but the board does seem to give you a general sense of what you may be stepping into. Especially when numerous posters are making similar complaints or praise.

10. rossyb

rossyb New Member

Because of this board, one guy has already called Joe Myers, the person who is leaving. Joe has no obligation to me; he can say what he wants to. Dukeman said I was "great" to work for. One poster has said otherwise, and he has said it about seven times on this thread and once on another. That might tell you something.
    [/quote]

How aboyut Khary McGee's post in the "Sports Reporter" thread saying that he "hated every minute" of working at the paper? Donnie, does that not have anything to do with you? Come on!

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hey rossyb - we get it. You don't like Donnie. Point made. Now stop posting on these threads unless you have something new to add. Truth is, you dilute your point with every bitter post you make. Anyone with any sense sees you now as someone with an ax to grind.

People can weigh what you say and weigh what others say and make their own decisions. Your point is clear. Enough.

12. rossyb

rossyb New Member

I all honesty, the reason I am posting is to save other guys/girls the heartache and misery I had while I was down there...The job soured me on the newspaper business....DD was by far the worst boss I ever had...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.