1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SPORTS EDITOR, THE REGISTER-GUARD, EUGENE, OREGON

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by lisahanson, Apr 25, 2011.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Ron's a great guy to work with, wish him the best in his retirement. Hard to find a better guy for that paper. Good luck to anyone who gets a shot at it. The Olympic Trials are there again next summer, huge event for the RG.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That was a columnist job in 2007.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Oops, my bad. Regardless, it says a lot that they could almost pull him in.

4. Charlie_Hustle

Charlie_Hustle New Member

I wish I was qualified for this job. Perhaps qualified to work for whoever gets it ...

Best of luck to all who apply. Great opportunity.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

In a different time and place, this would have been not quite my dream job, but close. There are a number of reasons I couldn't do it now, I'm sure, and I'm probably a bit too "veteran" for them anyway, but a great situation in a college town that I imagine would remind me a lot of home -- and I'm really back into running besides, and have been a huge track and field, cross-country and road racing fan all my life.

It's a place I'd love to live as well. But "overqualified" -- and not in a holier-than-thou sense, just what they're looking for and where I am -- is probably the case for me here.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Wow, aren't you the humble one? ;D

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I didn't mean it to come off that way!! :)

8. JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy New Member

I always assumed Eugene would a hip, progressive, cool place to live as long as you've got good rain gear. But after doing some Internet checking on various message boards, I get the impression it's economically depressed and filled with vagrants, meth-heads and lots of property crime. Anybody have an opinion on which it is?

9. Jacob May

Jacob May New Member

Both. Those vagrants like to prey on college kids. Had a bike stolen and a laptop stolen after the side door in my apartment was knocked down in consecutive years. So, don't leave near campus or downtown.

10. Deskhack

Deskhack Member

It's not that bad. There's no more property crime than anywhere else in the nation, and less violent crime than many (as I recall, Eugene wound up about in the middle in the most recent national crime stats). Certain neighborhoods are worse than others. The economy is pretty meh right now. Unemployment is high (the area's two big growth industries in the 90s were silicon computer wafers and RV manufacturing, neither of which has fared well lately). It's coming back, perhaps somewhat more slowly than many areas, but it IS coming back.

It's a pretty nice town. Maybe not as nice as it's built up to be, but pretty damn nice. You're two hours from Portland, one hour from some of the most beautiful coastline anywhere, one hour from the Cascades and one hour from some very underrated scenery in Southern Oregon. And the sports scene around town is pretty interesting right now, maybe more than it's ever been.

11. Current s/o lives in Gresham, outside of Portland. Still, I think she'd be thrilled if I took a flier on it.

12. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Draft saved Draft deleted