1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor -- The (Mitchell, S.D.,) Daily Republic,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Dec 2, 2010.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1183247

The Daily Republic, a 12,000-circulation, six-day daily newspaper in Mitchell, S.D., seeks a sports editor for an immediate opening. Candidates also may be considered for a sports reporter position.

The ideal editor candidate will have experience writing and/or editing sports at a daily newspaper. Experience with page design is preferred, as are photography skills. Our sports editor manages two sports reporters and must lead by example with a strong work ethic and commitment to local coverage.

The Daily Republic has a proud tradition and won the South Dakota Newspaper Association's 2010 general excellence and sweepstakes awards for dailies under 14,000 circulation. Mitchell is located in the heart of South Dakota's pheasant country and is only an hour's drive from the Missouri River.

Applications, with work samples, should be submitted by Dec. 10 to Editor Seth Tupper at stupper@mitchellrepublic.com (include "sports position" in the subject line) or mailed to his attention at The Daily Republic, 120 S. Lawler St., PO Box 1288, Mitchell, SD 57301.

2. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

The position is for a sports editor, obviously, but there may be an opening for a sports reporter in the future.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Good luck to anyone who takes this, because you're going to need it. SE has covered the NAIA school in town in the past.

No Sunday paper and the section is buried in the A section, so little to no color pages. I'd guess the two on staff want a crack at the SE spot, especially as the last one wasn't in the job for very long.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/78573/

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many Mike Miller stories can any one person do? :D

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Does it snow there?

6. FumBunch

FumBunch New Member

Does anyone know what the pay might be?

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'd bet high 20s.

8. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

At least you get to cover basketball games in the Corn Palace.

9. peacer84

peacer84 Member

I resigned from this position because my wife and I were homesick. PM me if you want to know more about this position. There are some amazing journalists at this paper and the job can personally be very rewarding.

It does snow there, the salary guesses are pretty accurate and yes, you do get to cover basketball at the Corn Palace. As of this posting, I don't believe an in-house candidate has applied. I know one of the two reporters won't be applying.

I believe this job had around 75 applicants last time around. Mitchell's a great town and The Daily Republic has a very strong reputation in the community.

10. twinsfan1424

twinsfan1424 Member

This one has been filled

11. Care to share the name?

12. twinsfan1424

twinsfan1424 Member

Luke Hagen has been promoted to sports editor and Justin Rust from the Yankton Press & Dakotan was hired as the new sports reporter.

Draft saved Draft deleted