1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, The Emporia (Kan.) Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DustGun100, Jun 16, 2008.

1. thebigd

thebigd Member

Harley you make a good point, but what if the sports editor is more comfortable covering college sports? If I were coming into that situation, I'd probably wouldn't switch anything for a school year, but also let the guy know there would be changes the following year, and he probably would be giving up one of the major sports

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

If the SE is only comfortable covering college sports this sounds like the wrong gig (where is the right one?)

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

It is my belief that there are two reasons why you should not change things:

1) Just because you can.

2) Just because it works/worked for someone/you somewhere else.

And I've been victimized by decisions that have seemingly been made for these reasons and these reasons only since the beginning of March.

My approach would be to see what's working and what's not, then implement changes accordingly. And it would take a while. I want staff and readers alike going, "Hey, that's a good idea," not, "WTF?"

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What's more important, the high schools or the college?

If the guy covering the college isn't thought of enough to be promoted to SE and they are bringing someone else in, then my guess is the new SE should be covering whatever is the most important. If it is the college beat, well, too fucking bad college writer. I guess you should have done your job better.

If that person leaves? Oh, well. Hire someone else. Too many people in this job think things should just continue as is for them even if they suck.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Depends on the audience. Where I am, high school all the way. If the juco dropped sports tomorrow, I think some people would miss football and the others would exit with nary a whimper.

And there are other towns near me that are the same. There are also places near me where the college is king and the high school wouldn't be missed.

I don't know of any place, at least around here, where I could say the two stand on equal footing.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I think, especially on a two-man staff, it comes down to timing.

If I'm the SE and the primary page designer for a Saturday morning paper, chances are I'm not going to be covering high school football and basketball.

Most places of this size, preps are more important than college because, for the most part, it's the parents of high schools that buy the paper (college kids, for the most part, are from out of town).

That said, some towns have strong local support for their college programs and Emporia is one of them.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Possible.

I still say if the new SE determines the person isn't very good, said person shouldn't keep their beat just because they always have had that beat.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it appears you're answering to a couple of plants, who aren't exactly dispassionate observers. i find humor when folks with axes to grind -- or fair maidens to defend -- gather on these jobs threads.

9. Love_Sports

Love_Sports Member

i have no ties to emporia, the university or anyone who ever worked there. just my observations from the outside.

i think when someone tells you things are set, even the beats, it's a sure sign they're not really open to change. not a place i'd want to work.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm going to go ahead and agree with both you and angola, big fella. that was my point as well.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Exactly.
    I was trying to defend your position.

12. expectingrain

expectingrain New Member

Did the SE determine the person isn't very good because the person isn't very good, or is it because you want to cover colleges instead of high schools?

There's a huge difference.

Nothing worse than a prick who comes in and steals someone's beat just because he can.

Draft saved Draft deleted