1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, The Emporia (Kan.) Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DustGun100, Jun 16, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You get to put lots of stuff in your paper about Clint Bowyer!

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

All I'm sayin' is healthcare for a family of four there was $620 a month when I was there.

3. HandsomeHarley

That was my attitude (why mess with a good setup?) and that in part landed me the job. But that was many moons ago.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And also R. Lee Ermey and "Chris" Everett.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

By all means, don't apply then. Heaven forbid someone hire you AND tell you what to do. I'm interested in how that setup worked for Harley, even if it was many moons ago. That may give you more insight to this job than just dismissing it blindly because they have the audacity to say "this guy does good in this spot". If you don't want to cover high schools at a newspaper then Kansas is the wrong state to work in.

6. Love_Sports

Love_Sports Member

you're right. kansas is the wrong state for me. yet it has nothing to do with having to cover high schools.

7. partain

partain Member

Well, the job just got posted on journalismjobs.com. Guess it will be advertised after all.

Company: The Emporia Gazette
    Position: Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: July 22, 2008
    Job ID: 652972

Description:
    The Emporia Gazette, a family owned 8,000-circulation evening newspaper in the scenic Flint Hills of Kansas, seeks a sports editor who is commited to giving our readers all the information they need to keep track of their local sports teams.

Our community is home to Emporia State University, which has a national presence at the NCAA Division II level. At the secondary level, Emporia High School is a Class 5A school with football, volleyball, cross country, track and field, boys and girls basketball, soccer, golf and wrestling programs. In Lyon and surrounding counties, we cover sports at eight smaller high schools.

We are looking for a sports editor who is organized and understands the importance of covering all levels of sports — from T-ball and kids wrestling to college and professional sports. The Gazette has a community journalism tradition that has been rewarded with state and national recognition, including six sweepstakes awards from the Kansas Press Association. Our position could be a good step up for someone who’s cut teeth at a weekly newspaper.

Reporting and writing skills must be demonstrated. Proficiency in page design and AP style are required. Experience with InDesign and NewsEdit Pro are preferred. Two years experience is required.

To apply, send a cover letter, resume, work samples and three references to Gwendolynne Larson, managing editor, The Emporia Gazette, 517 Merchant St., Emporia, KS 66801. E-mail applications may be sent to larson@emporiagazette.com.

8. HandsomeHarley

Basically, the No. 2 guy had been there for a few years and had the college beat down. He knew the coaches and took the time to create a rapport with the coaches and players.

I figured it would be dumb for me to come in there and make a change just to throw my weight around. I needed this guy on my side, and had enough respect for him to leave him alone.

A good editor/supervisor isn't someone who goes in and starts letting everyone know who's boss. A good editor is someone who goes in and tells the people that are already there, "Hey, we're in this together."

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When Bowyer won at New Hampshire last year, Jerry Punch only mentioned he was from Emporia 587 times.

10. rolling

rolling Member

Too bad. Looks like this would have been a perfect stop for someone to gain that "college beat experience" so many of these high-profile positions require.

Surely not worth knocking Earth out of orbit, though.

11. Love_Sports

Love_Sports Member

it's one thing to come in and choose not to make changes. it's another to be told things are set in stone and your ideas for change won't be welcome.

i don't know many SEs who would head into a job and simply want to run things the way they were. each and every person who applies for this job should have their ideas on how to make the section better. if that includes changes in beats, it should be done. if not, that's fine, too.

i just believe you shouldn't tell an incoming SE, or applicants in this case, that the way things are is the way they'll be. change can be a good thing.

12. HandsomeHarley

I agree. I just don't think you should make sweeping changes just because you can.

You need to take the time to see what is working and what isn't, then tweak as you see fit. I felt the No. 2 guy on the college beat was working and wasn't going to tweak it for the sake of pushing my weight around.

You can be a good supervisor without being a bully. You have to remember that the guys that are working for you are there to help you, not stop you from conquering the world.

Guess that attitude is why I'm not a newspaper owner. :-\

Draft saved Draft deleted