1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Tallahassee (Fla.) Democrat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Sunshine Scooter, Mar 12, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

They still do. However, if you really have a pulse in the business, and know the Gannett way, you can't tell me that this hiring wasn't surprising in some regards.

2. I wonder how much the "we won't pay to move you here" advertisement scared off qualified people.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I'll be honest, it sure as hell scared me off. If they can't even pay to take care of your moving expenses, how's bad is your budget going to be when you get there.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks dog.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thank you timmy gannett.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

48 posts and you know me? god you are a newbie twatwaffle, aren't you?

and, since we're talking about not being smart enough to get a point: once scabs such as yourself start paying for their own moves and trumpet the fact you expect to do as much, that will be one less financial benefit to working in this biz. thanks for stopping by scab.

fetch me anything pyramid, newbie.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

what a dick!

8. No one cares about your finances - it's irrelevant to the issue at hand - but since you brought them up, I'm astounded that you've made such fantastic financial strides in the last three months that you no longer have to worry about money. Congratulations.

9. cfinder

cfinder Member

wait a seck, 68...

you're a journalist, and you have all your debts paid off? you have assets to liquidate?

i don't know whether to disbelieve, or beg you to adopt my family.

10. floridasun

floridasun Member

Maybe the new SE used the no moving expenses as a means to get on the high end of the salary. I think it was originally posted at 60-70K? Anyone familiar with gannett knows that means: "we want to start you at the low end so you'll have some room to grow salary-wise."

this has potential to be a nice job, but the paper could use an overhaul in appearance as it's locked in to the gannett narrow column, heavy-story count on the section front.

11. they offered $64K to their first choice.

Not sure what they offered this guy.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

probably less

Draft saved Draft deleted