1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Tallahassee (Fla.) Democrat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Sunshine Scooter, Mar 12, 2007.

1. This was not an in-house hire. He was not part of the Gannett family.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I think I'd have rather seen an in-house promotion myself... then there might have been a writer's opening (you're hired!) and who knows from there.

I know, I know, wishful thinking. Seriously, congratulations to Jim.

3. Tallahassee isn't some ol' country town, population 237, in the middle of nowhere... If you think he would get the job just b/c he was a coach at TCC, you're an idiot. if anything, that tells me he might have a clue what he's talking about when it comes to writing hoops columns unlike most editors

4. boots

boots New Member

Sorry to disappoint but Tallahassee ain't the big city partner. Yeah it has an abundance of college life but that's pretty much it. It's a nice town to visit but State Troopers can make an outsider feel badly trying to navigate the town on game days.
    I do wish the new SE luck in his new position.

5. Thanks for the Tallahassee tutorial, boots. I really needed it.

It's circ is about 50K, I'd say that's larger than most shops people represent on this board. That was the point. It's not the next Manahattan, but you're a moron if you think higher-ups at the Democrat are calling their third cousins to come run sports like it's fuckin' Mayberry.

6. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

First of all, and most importantly, good luck to Jim.
    Am I reading this right? Did a 50,000 circ just hire a sports editor from a weekly that doubles as a fan website?

7. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Didn't they also hire a sports reporter from there within the last 3-4 years?

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Thank you! Glad someone other than me and Boots find this insane.

9. your_mom

your_mom New Member

"Lamar had been general manager of The Osceola from 2002 until now. Before that, he was director of content and operations of SportsLine.com. He was a sports correspondent at the Democrat from 1986 to 1995."

What kind of career path is that? Correspondent to asst CC coach to Director of Ops at Sportsline to a fan rag to SE?

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007705060345

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

sounds like someone's good friends with the hiring editor at the Democrat.

11. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

A LOT of people find this insane, or so I'm told.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i bet you are.

Draft saved Draft deleted