1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor -- Strasburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

From journalismjobs.com

Company: Northern Virginia Daily
    Position: Sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: April 24, 2007
    Job ID: 753555

Description:The Northern Virginia Daily, the best small daily newspaper in Virginia, is seeking a sports editor.

Our four-person sports staff places a heavy emphasis on prep sports in a section that averages five pages daily. We also cover area colleges and an NCAA-sanctioned wooden bat summer baseball league. The sports staff produces at least five special sections annually, plus other special reporting projects.

The ideal candidate will have strong writing, reporting and editing skills, will have page design and supervisory experience, and will demonstrate a flair for enterprise journalism. Strong organizational skills are essential. Daily newspaper experience is required.

The Daily is published mornings Monday through Saturday. The independently owned newspaper covers the beautiful Shenandoah Valley. Strasburg is just 80 miles from Washington, D.C., and about an hour from Metrorail.

Resumes, cover letters and examples of work should be mailed to Bob Wooten, managing editor, Northern Virginia Daily, P.O. Box 69, Strasburg, Va. 22657, or e- mailed to bwooten@nvdaily.com.

No phone calls, please.

2. Where's Michael Petre going?

3. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Virginia Beach. Great move for Mr. Petre.

4. KaraokeC

KaraokeC Member

willie-butch must be sitting on his hands trying not to jump all over this as the strasburg hotel's blue ridge salad beckons like a siren...

5. Michael_Petre

Michael_Petre Member

Specifically, I'm heading to Norfolk. More specifically, the Virginian-Pilot, who has graciously expressed their interest in me. Hopefully I don't let them down.

If anyone has any quesitons about the job, I'd be glad to answer in a PM or e-mail at mpetre@nvdaily.com as long as I'm still an employee here.

You'll take over a young, talented staff that isn't afraid to work hard. If you don't mind small-town life, you'll love it here in the Northern Shenandoah Valley.

The Blue Ridge Salad at the Strasburg Hotel is icing on the cake.

6. KaraokeC

KaraokeC Member

they also have great club sandwiches. for me, that is the cake.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

so what's so great about this salad?

8. KaraokeC

KaraokeC Member

willie-butch and superdeuce can tell you more than i can, but its basically a salad with a whole crapload of meats, cheese, eggs and veggies on it. i prefer the caesar steak salad myself, but you really can't go wrong with anything at the hotel.

9. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Good place to go if you want to move up in the world of journalism. But, for the love of God, get a place in Winchester. Keep your sanity.

10. For the love of god, get a place in DC and commute. Living in Strasburg, Woodstock, Winchester is enough to drive a man to suicide.

11. KaraokeC

KaraokeC Member

winchester is where it's at. baja fresh notwithstanding, what more could you want?

12. Or you could live down in Harrisonburg and eat at Qdoba. I believe in heaven they exclusively serve only Queso Burritos.

Draft saved Draft deleted