1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Statesboro, Ga

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by The Duke, Jul 11, 2006.

1. The Duke

The Duke Member

Sports Editor The Statesboro Herald is looking for a sports nut, who would love organizing the best sports section of any small daily newspaper in Georgia. We are an 8,000 circulation, 7-day daily looking for an editor to run our sports department. We cover Georgia Southern University, which has the most successful I-AA football program in America and prominent Division I programs in men's and women's basketball, baseball and many other sports. We cover very successful high school sports teams in Bulloch County and a top-notch recreation program. And we go to The Masters every year. The successful candidate will have at least two years experience working at a daily newspaper, be a quality writer, be proficient in Quark Xpress and have excellent organizational and people skills. Sports coverage is an integral part of the success of the whole newspaper, so the sports editor must work well with all departments. It is a demanding but rewarding job. We offer a competitive salary, company health plan, 401K and a great place to live in a college town 50 miles west of Savannah. If you are qualified and interested, please e-mail a cover letter and resume to Jim Healy, executive editor, jhealy@statesboroherald.net
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000

2. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Don't know much about the Herald over the last several years, but I do know Jim Healy is a good guy. And a smooth SE can sweet talk his way into playing Forest Heights gratis.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

To possibly make $30k at an 8,000-circ paper, get a trip to Augusta every year and cover Ga. Southern (a good starting point for someone who aspires to a major D-I job someday) sounds pretty darned good.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If it doesn't work out, you can sing the Statesboro Blues.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I just want to go on record and say that was pretty awful, heijira

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Ain't that the truth.
    I would have killed to make $30K at my 25K circ paper back in the days.

7. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Anyone see an oxymoron?

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Understatement...not an oxymoron.
    that much money for that job is pretty darn good, relatively.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I think competitive salary can't be evaluated until COL is ascertained. Knowing where Statesboro is, I'd think you could live decently on that salary, though you might have to live in one of the outlying little burbs to do so. You also have to consider there's a D-I college to be covered. You have to pay well enough to have someone reasonably competent in the job. Or, at least, that's my theory.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

How bout that? They're being homers in the job ad.

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

They also forget to mention that the Nebraska-like rebuilding stretch they're about to go into means 4-7 seasons should be the norm for 3-4 years. Right about when you'll be bouncing out of this place.
    I know two former Statesboro guys. Both are out of the business and blazed a trail of mediocrity while they were in it.

12. gumbojumbo

gumbojumbo Guest

And speaking of homers ...

Draft saved Draft deleted