1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - St. Marys, OH

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, May 11, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Seeking Sports Editor

Date Posted: May 08, 2015
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable

Description:

We need a sports editor with strong pagination skills to be a part of our dynamic news team. The ideal candidate will be well versed in InDesign and Adobe Photoshop and will have experience in page design and pagination. The person filling this position will also be part of the writing team for a variety of assignments from local high school sports coverage to enterprise features, and should be capable with a digital camera, flexible and willing to be part of an upbeat and service-minded group of people. Candidate must also be able to work independently and manage his/her own schedule. If this paragraph describes you, send a letter of introduction and resume to: Mike Burkholder, Managing Editor, The Evening Leader, 102 E. Spring St., St. Marys, OH 45885 or via email to editor@theeveningleader.com.

studthug12 likes this.
  2. cubman

cubman Member

This is a good small town to live in, but hey, it's a small town. About 9,000, give or take, an hour north of Dayton and 25-30 minutes southwest of Lima convenient to I-75. You will cover at least four high schools (St. Marys Memorial, New Bremen, Minster and New Knoxville). I believe those are the only four schools they cover.
    Definitely an entry-level job.
    I have never worked there, but my mother grew up in St. Marys and I still have a lot of family in that area, so I am a bit biased toward the town and check out the paper on a fairly regular basis. Paper is about what one would expect from a pub that size in that town, but it's a good connection to what is going on there. Never see much beyond game coverage when I read it.

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I can also vouch for the area. Nice midwestern people. The small schools cubman listed play in the MAC, the most powerful small-school conference in the state. Minster won a state football title last year, and was one of three MAC schools to do so. This is an area that lives and breaths high school sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted