1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Saranac Lake, N.Y.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Adirondack Daily Enterprise and Lake Placid News have an immediate opening for a sports/features editor.

A UNIQUE SPORTS ENVIRONMENT: In addition to six high schools and two colleges, we make a priority of the world-class winter sports in Lake Placid, host of the 1932 and 1980 Winter Olympics. Other characteristic local sports include triathlons, rugby, lacrosse, horse shows, canoe/kayak racing, skiing, ice skating and lumberjack games, plus a wide array of outdoor activities.

SPORTS DUTIES: This editor is responsible for making sure local sports get excellent coverage in print and online. This includes managing and editing the work of a senior sports reporter and a sports/outdoors reporter, laying out all sports pages, updating our Web sites and covering local sports passionately with writing and photography.

FEATURES DUTIES: This editor is responsible for laying out an outdoor recreation magazine every other month, laying out special sections (about one a month) and laying out three pages of the weekly lifestyles section.

PREREQUISITES: Applicants should be community minded and demonstrate skill — earned through experience — in page design, editing, writing and photography.

TO APPLY: The deadline is Aug. 23. E-mail a resume, references and samples to Managing Editor Peter Crowley at pcrowley@adirondackdailyenterprise.com.

2. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

i know nothing about the paper(s) but this is a beautiful area, especially if you like winter and summer outdoor activities. had a blast fly-fishing on the au sable not long ago. been there in both winter and summer. burlington, montreal and albany all within a few hours.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Beautiful area. I'm kind of intrigued about this.

4. tdonegan

tdonegan Member

I have to echo the above. I was just there two weeks ago for a rugby tournament. Absolutely beautiful area and seems very big on sports. Every other shop was a sporting goods retailer and word around town was they host some kind of tournament (mostly hockey) something like 45 weeks out of the year.

Night life was pretty good as well for being sort of out of the way. Lake Placid in particular had a few nice bars worth the price of admission.

Draft saved Draft deleted