1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Sandusky, OH

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Drakes Place

Drakes Place Guest

Dan is a great guy but DO NOT take this job. The publisher, Doug Phares, is an idiot. Plus, one guy whose daddy owns the paper (Nick White) works there and is allowed to boss EVERYONE around even though he does nothing and has no qualifications. It used to be a good paper but upper management has run it into the ground. Anyway, good to see Dan moving on to a 9-to-5 gig after spending the past 22 years working every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

They've had some bad MEs there, but it keeps getting worse with each new one. Westerhold is a major league clown from what I've been told.

3. Drakes Place

Drakes Place Guest

That's true, but Westerhold at least leaves sports alone to make their own choices. The publisher is burying them though.

4. Bob Slydell

I just don't hear anything good about that place anymore.

It's sad, it used to be a good paper with good people. I think there are only two people left in news who have much experience and knowledge of the area. Everyone was run off or left.

5. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

It's still a good paper, I enjoy reading it and they seem to rake in the state AP awards each year. Don't know much about the internal issues at the SR but Dan's a helluva good guy, I wish him the best.

6. kingkroz1017

kingkroz1017 New Member

Is this owned by Ogden Publishing? I work for one of their papers and it seems like this one is in the chain.

7. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

Not an Ogden paper.

8. kingkroz1017

kingkroz1017 New Member

Actually. I take that back, the main corporate enitity behind my paper is Sandusky Newspapers.. I think OPC is just division I'm in. Is that that same?

9. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

Very odd. We received a fax last night addressed to our sports department advertising this opening.

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

So did we.

11. Bob Slydell

Thay had been doing that for years. I knew several people who got checks from that deal. Nice ones. A former ME used to change people's time cards to take off any OT they may have accumulated. Then they tried to make them accept comp time, but would not let them use it.

Again, bad scene. There are good people there, but the management is seriously screwed. Good luck to whoever gets this.

The Register will miss Dan more than they ever realized very soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted