1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Salinas Californian

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by West_Coast_Offense, Jun 30, 2008.

1. West_Coast_Offense

West_Coast_Offense New Member

http://www.jobpath.com/CSH/Details.aspx?did=J274574N4HVHQZ1RJ4&csh=CSH_GANNETT

The Salinas Californian, a Gannett-owned newspaper that publishes six days a week, is seeking a well-rounded Sports Editor, one who values all local sports and recreation news, to lead our sports department. This position will be charged with enhancing the sports report in print and online, adding a fresh approach to local columns, blogs, features, breaking news and game coverage. Position manages two full-time staff members and correspondents to bolster coverage. Position leads staff in training, eliminating grammar and style errors and inconsistencies and meeting demanding deadlines. Position works closely with local news editor to develop plans for expanded coverage and staying on top of breaking news. Position maintains good communication with community members. Position is full-time and include the full benefits package. Competitive salary to match experience.

Requirements
    Applicants must have strong news judgment as editor is relied upon to make spot news and breaking news decisions. Applicants must have a mastery of AP style. This position requires night hours, at least three years of reporting or editing experience, strong writing and reporting skills and plenty of hustle. Spanish language ability a plus. Quark XPress pagination experience a plus. Must have the ability to work under daily deadline pressure and thrive in a busy newspaper atmosphere. Requires flexibility in work hours and days. Requires a valid driver's license, proof of insurance, a reliable vehicle and an acceptable driving record.

John Steinbeck's hometown. Beautiful area, largely agricultural, although there are no DI schools anywhere around. Good high school football (see Salinas Sports Complex) and a bunch of JuCos. You are close to Monterey, and trips to the Bay Area are about 100 miles away.

2. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

"Competitive salary" = 30K, max.

3. thebigd

thebigd Member

Not sure about that Matt. I worked there for three years, and I was just a reporter and I was making 32,000. The coaches were always real cooperative. I don't know if sports is still doing its own pages or not.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

Despite decent demographics (although that changes the more inland you go), this area of the Central Coast is not blessed with very good newspapers. Neither Salinas (Gannett) nor Monterey (Singleton) is that great, although Monterey used to be better and San Jose used to sniff down in these parts. Pretty scenery, though.

5. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

BigD: Good to hear it's not quite as brutal as I thought.

Draft saved Draft deleted