1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Richmond, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by franticscribe, Jun 7, 2006.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It looks like Richmond got around to posting this one. 

From the Media General job board:
    The Richmond Times-Dispatch is looking for a sports editor to direct a staff of 24 full-time and seven part-time writers, editors and designers. Applicants must be experienced, talented, committed newsroom managers, capable of directing the production of a compelling sports section seven days a week.

The sports editor oversees the following: day-to-day operation and long-term planning; counseling and coaching; hiring and firing; assessing performance with immediate and long-range feedback; and helping with the editing and design process.

The editor is expected to be a visible presence in the sporting community and be able to deal with the public through phone calls and email; must be able to create and adhere to travel budgets and other monetary budgets; must have a strong sense of ethics and fairness; must be a visionary with new, workable ideas involving multimedia, a team player and a committed member of the management team of a newspaper that is constantly re-examing itself in order to continually improve; must be willing to work as much as it takes to keep our sports department at its current high level and raise the bar higher.

For full consideration, apply by COB Monday, June 26, 2006

Candidates selected for interview will have cover letters (no more than 2 pages) with a compelling completion to the statement, "I will make the RT-D Sports Section one of the top ten sports sections in the country by…"

Current MG/RT-D Employees: Complete MG Internal Application; attach cover letter, resume, and work samples and forward to RT-D HR

External Candidates: Complete online application and use the resume upload function to attach your cover letter and resume in a single file (.doc or .pdf); send work samples to:

Richmond Times-Dispatch
    Human Resources
    ATTN: RNI-000609
    P. O. Box 85333
    Richmond, VA 23293-0001

Here's the Jack Berninger retirement thread.
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/22924/

2. boots

boots New Member

Excellent stop on the food chain. The pay is good and the people work hard. The SE's in the past have been top-notch. Millsaps, Berninger. Very Big shoes to follow.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Richmond staff is good people.

Nice city, too.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Writing staff, anyway. Layout guys never check their e-mail. :D

I keed --- excellent peeps at Richmond.

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Let me add to the laurels and say that, bar none, I've had a positive experience with everyone I've come in contact with at the T-D (and there's at least five I can think of off the top of my head). Some remain good friends, and I'm proud to call them such.

6. rat fink

rat fink New Member

For what it's worth, there are several in-house candidates for the gig. I know a few have been flown in to interview but the in-house guys, in my opinion, are just as good if not better.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Only met one guy, and he was fantastic. The rest of the staff, I'm sure, takes his lead.

8. henrygale

henrygale New Member

The job was just posted on Monday, rat fink, so I'm not sure how anyone could have already been flown in for an interview.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

They could have been seeking someone out.

10. I don't know about the paper, but I do know the city is a great place to be. I've partied there and let me tell you, Richmod rocks. Plus, you're like 1:30 from DC, probably the same from VA Beach. While I don't think Richmond has an Ivy League rep (but besides the Post, Times, Trib and a few others, what paper is Ivy league?), but this is a great spot for any sports editor. They cover the Redskins (don't know about the Nats or Wizards), UVA, ACC, NASCAR.....doesn't get much better. Plus, the weather probably couldn't be much better (if you're coming from the Northeast).

11. Whoever takes this job will, however, have to get used to living in the capital of the confedracy. They have an avenue there with gigantic statues of all the confederate generals. A lot of the houses on that street, which goes for miles, have confederate flags drapped out of the windows. I think all of the generals are carved out of marble and facing east. Way down at the end of the street - far past the last general - facing west, life-sized and made of copper is a statue of Arthur Ashe. I guess Richmond is great besides this part.

12. Are you sure. Just from spending some time there, I figured it was vastly black.

Draft saved Draft deleted