1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Richmond, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hoos3725, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

Copied from the BH Media web site:

The Richmond Times-Dispatch is seeking an energetic, creative editor who is eager to lead our award-winning Sports team and direct content across the print, digital and social spectrums.

This position calls for a collaborative, hands-on leader who excels at planning, is a superb project manager and a thoughtful line editor. We’re looking for an editor with strong news judgment and an even stronger sense of community who will set high standards for quality across multiple platforms. This editor must understand our print and the digital audiences, and guide a staff that is able to satisfy both.

The sports editor is responsible for managing a team of seven full-time and four part-time reporters, setting departmental goals, coaching staff, providing must-read content and collaborating with other news editors. We are looking for candidates with at least 10 years of newsroom experience, including at least three years in management. Most importantly, we’re looking for someone who has demonstrated initiative, a passion for working with others and the ability to produce excellent journalism.

Job Location
    Richmond, Virginia, United States
    Position Type
    Full-Time/Regular

Company
    BH Media Group Holdings, Inc. (formerly World Media Enterprises/Midlands Newspapers)

https://bhmedia.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobinfo&jobid=3056&company_id=16186&version=1&source=ONLINE&JobOwner=993635&startflag=1

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Having held this spot in another lifetime, I recommend the town and the people at the paper (most of them were there when I was there). The editor is exceptionally good. The sports folks all work their asses off.

I do not know anything about the new ownership group.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I can't speak for how the new ownership has affected the RTD, but for my shop, it's been fabulous. We travel extremely well for our local DI school and put money into the product in other areas of the newsroom. We've been filling reporting positions that would have been left vacant under MG. Never heard the dreaded "F" word muttered at any point. (Knock on wood.) Omaha has been pretty hands off editorially, letting our management dictate what our paper and website should look like, a nice change from the MG micromanagement. There's a pretty good sense of stability across the board, something you couldn't say with MG, where you dreaded opening your e-mail every day fearing there would be another message from Marshall Morton about doing more with less, synergy, paycuts and furloughs.

As for the coverage area, the TD is big on what you'd think they'd be big on: area high schools, Tech and UVa, UR and VCU, and the Redskins, since training camp is in town now. Fantastic city. Great opportunity.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I don't work at a BH Media shop, but I have also heard good things about it from others. I have always liked the Omaha paper, which hasn't been affected by space cuts and layoffs as much as other papers have. (In fact, I can hardly recall a layoff/buyout message for employees at the World-Herald)

I'd be all over this in a minute were it not for the management experience. I've got 20 years in the business but management is the one area I lack. :(

5. RBluhm

RBluhm New Member

I was sports editor of a 14,000 circulation BH media newspaper. They are a top-notch organization and I wish I had never left. Great company with good benefits.

6. JBondurant804

JBondurant804 Member

Nothing but good things to say about BH Media from me, even being a part-timer at the RTD.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Worked with several of the sports desk guys in a past life as well, and they are a good group. Seems Richmond is a great town if you're into outdoorsy-type stuff too.

8. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Filled: https://twitter.com/szvetitz/status/500399325944369154

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Good street cred. :) Opelika Auburn-News sports editor... cue that opening in 3, 2, 1....

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

The new guy is a fine fellow, I'm sure, but is this like going from single-A ball to the majors? (At least, like the Astros, anyway?)

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Seems like going from the SEC to Double-A if you are taking about the towns/papers.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Think Fran is right. Actually surprised by the circulation disparity. Is Opelika really only 15,00 and Richmond is more than 100K. Had no idea it would be that big of a gap.

Draft saved Draft deleted