1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor/reporter (Clarksdale, Miss.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=950625

The Clarksdale Press Register, located in the Mississippi Delta, is looking for an aggressive sports editor who can run a one-person sports department with an emphasis on local teams. The sports editor will have to cover games, communicate and deal with stringers, take photos, write stories and design pages. If you're ready to hit the ground running (in time for high school football,) please contact Terri Ferguson at 662-627-2201 or you may email your resume to tferguson@pressregister.com

$20k-25k, and the circulation is 4,600.

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

For those interested in doing a little time in hell...

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Clarksdale is a cool town. Wonderful food. Poor and nothing around -- except Memphis to the north -- but fun, none the less. Especially if you like the blues.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Indeed. The Delta Blues Museum is pretty cool.

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

Coahoma County - birthplace of the one and only John Lee Hooker.

6. three_bags_full

And ...
    Son House
    Sam Cooke
    Ike Turner
    Muddy Waters
    Tennessee Williams

Hell, this could go on forever.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Wikipedia says it's Wright Thompson's hometown.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Great bar across the street from the museum, Ground Zero. It's owned by Morgan Freeman. The town was a great place to visit, but I imagine living there would be less than exciting.

9. three_bags_full

True. I saw a New Year's Eve show there several years back, and NPR was doing its show there.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

The town does very well in luring European visitors, which may surprise a few. Incidentally, I think they may have found someone to fill the vacancy.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Clarksdale High Wildcats football has been really good through the years.

Clarksdale Lee (the Robert E. variety) Academy is a program you will also be forced to give coverage to.

Nearness to Memphis would be a plus, but you'd best be cognizant that you'll work you're butt off here.

I suspect so, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted