1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor/Reporter, Barbourville (Ky.) Mt. Advocate

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Central-KY-Kid, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Job Title: Sports Editor/Reporter
    Company: Barbourville Mt. Advocate
    Category: Print Journalist
    Contact Person: J.T. Hurst
    Contacts Title: Publisher
    Email: jthurst@barbourvilleadvocate.com

Address: P.O. Box 190
    City/State/Zip: Barbourville, KY 40906
    Fax: 606-546-2839
    Description:

The Barbourville Mt. Advocate is a 101 county seat newspaper with a paid circulation of 6,600 weekly. It is the only newspaper in Knox County, Ky.

Good writing skills with excellent grammer and spelling. Must be able to work with Quark Xpress, Photoshop etc. Knowledge of photography required.

FWIW, there is an NAIA school in the city and one or two high schools in the county.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Are you kidding me?

3. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

I added the FWIW part. I wasn't sure how many high schools were there, thus I wrote "one or two".

As far as "grammer", that's the way it was in the ad.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What is a 101 county seat newspaper?

5. printdust

printdust New Member

They don't carry dental insurance there. Hell, when you get there, you'll realize it isn't necessary.

6. I worked in that area in Corbin. The high schools are Knox Central, Barbourville, Lynn Camp and Union College. I wouldn't recommend going there unless it was a first job out of college and you couldn't find anything else. And not being able to spell grammar, come on.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A weekly in South Georgia once advertised for a "part-tim" copy editor. The first requirement was strong spelling, grammar and punctuation skills.

8. JME

JME Member

Maybe they wanted someone with Tim Kurkjian's reporting ability and other parts of other reporters...

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The funniest part is, indeed, "one or two high schools."

One or two?

10. printdust

printdust New Member

Counting to two is the base requirement for HS graduation in this part of the world.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Considering it's Eastern Kentucky, I'm shocked they got most of the letters right in grammar.

Draft saved Draft deleted