1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Press Enterprise, Bloomsburg, PA.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, Jul 20, 2006.

1. From jjobs.com

Company: Press Enterprise
    Position:
    Lead Award-Winning Sports Department
    Job Status:  Full-time
    Salary:  Negotiable
    Ad Expires: 
    August 24, 2006
    Job ID: 325700

Description:
    The Press Enterprise of Bloomsburg PA seeks editor with strong background in news or sports to lead a sports section twice honored by Associated Press Sports Editors as one of the 10 best in the nation under 40,000 (2003 and 2006). We are a 21,500, seven-day AM, long recognized as one of the best small papers in Pennsylvania. We consider strong sports coverage integral to our success. We offer a salary that goes far in our relatively low-cost corner of eastern Pennsylvania, just two hours from Philly, three from NY. Rush cover letter, resume, writing and layout samples to:

Jim Sachetti Editor Press Enterprise 3185 Lackawanna Ave. Bloomsburg, PA 17815 sachetti@pressenterprise.net

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Nice gig..surely one of the best "small" papers in the state.

3. The Duke

The Duke Member

what happened to Matt Traub?
    He was a solid editor.

4. PressRowHack

PressRowHack New Member

Definitely a good paper. I've seen this one many times. They do a good job with preps, cover the hell out of Bloom U (obviously) and their Bloom U football writer is really good.

They cover three of the best football programs in high school in the entire state too. From what I've seen of them (picked this paper up a handful of times looking for info on the HS teams they cover), they easily smash the competition.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Berwick football.

Do you really need to say more?

Berwick football. ;D

6. YerkillinmePetey

YerkillinmePetey New Member

Matt headed to Columbia, S.C., to take a designer position at The State.

7. Actually, Berwick football's headed to the crapper. The new craze is Southern Columbia football, especially when they break Berwick's record for consecutive state titles this year.

And don't forget Mount Carmel.

8. PressRowHack

PressRowHack New Member

That's the point, it's a great prep football area and they do a very good job with Bloomsburg U (and Bloom has a stud RB too)....I think they do some stuff with a few of the minor league teams once in a while too, I believe they have a stringer for the AHL Pittsburgh affiliate.

From what I could gather their area isn't that competitive, I guess a paper from Hazelton competes with them for some stuff and there is the paper in the Selinsgrove area too, but the PE is better than either one.

9. The Duke

The Duke Member

George Curry is no longer there.
    Berwick football is not such a draw

10. whome19

whome19 New Member

I am from the Coal Region and I was wondering if anyone had any insight on why all the openings in the last year. I understand Matt Traub leaving Bloomsburg, but what happened in Sunbury and Shamokin? I remember hearing about a pagination job in Sunbury and didn't two leave from Shamokin? Whatever happened to those two guys and who took their place? And yes, Bloomsburg has a very nice product.

11. Keystone

Keystone Member

Don't know who filled the Sunbury pagination job, but the guy who was supposed to take it wasn't able to start after somebody read his blog. Apparently, he wasn't too nice to his previous boss.

At Shamokin, the former SE, Chris Nagy, moved over to news. Charlie Roth from Pottsville, an all-around good guy, was brought in as the old/new SE. I know another writer was hired and the other position is still in the air (from what I've been told). The writer who was in the second writer slot moved back to Pottsville as the two Times-Shamrock properties made a "trade."

As for the PE, Matt will be a tough act to follow. The person who will be taking will have to deal with some of the more fanatical prep football fans in the state with Berwick, Southern Columbia, Mount Carmel and Shamokin in the coverage area. Berwick's Bulldog nation will be in for a rough ride until the new coach rights the ship.

Somebody asked about competition: The paper has no competition in its backyard -- Bloomsburg U. Bloomsburg High and Central Columbia -- but the coverage areas of outside papers overlap in different parts of Columbia and Montour counties. Berwick is also covered by the two Wilkes-Barre papers; Danville has its own paper, which is owned by Sunbury; Southern Columbia is covered hard by the Shamokin and Sunbury papers; while Mount Carmel and Shamokin are the home base of the News-Item.

12. qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop New Member

I think Sunbury still has that pagination job open, i didn't hear any different. As for the two who left Shamokin, I don't know what the one is doing, but the other, Tom Fox, is back in Lock Haven as sports editor. And Keystone did a nice job of describing what has happened in Shamokin.

Draft saved Draft deleted