1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor -- Pacific Palisades (Calif.) Post,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Jan 5, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Salary: $20,000 to $25,000

The award-winning community newspaper in Pacific Palisades, California, is seeking a full time (35 hrs/week) sports editor who can write, edit, work with our staff photographer and design two full pages a week. This is a one-person position and candidates must have proven sports writing experience and an eagerness to cover all sports at our local high school level: football, basketball, volleyball, soccer, baseball, tennis, swimming, track and field plus lacrosse, as well as the annual PGA tournament at our Riviera Country Club. We also want to see proven ability writing features and individual profiles. Ideally, the candidate will have prior experience as a sports editor in college or at a community newspaper. Our paper is an admired tradition in Pacific Palisades and our sports coverage is vital to our success. Salary plus excellent benefits. Please email resume with three or four representative clips to: editor@palipost.com.

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1223646

2. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Just saying.

3. BigEast24

BigEast24 New Member

Who in their right mind would or could take this gig for $20K, and in L.A. County?

What an industry we've selected. Wow.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does Slater still QB for the Tigers?

5. TallSportsGuy

TallSportsGuy New Member

How is full-time 35 hours per week? How is any newspaper job 35 hours per week, for that matter? I probably work that many hours per week as a stringer.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I interviewed for this job right out of college. It was offered to me, but I turned it down because it was a Sports Editor/Photo Editor combo position and I wasn't comfortable enough as a photographer.
    Oh yeah, this was in 1975.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Full time is what a company says it is. You just don't get overtime unless you work over 40 hours per week, unless you get conned into working salary at this place.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If that's what they are paying, and it's a one-man band - it's not that vital to their success.

And you'll be covering kids who drive nicer cars than yours.

9. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

You know, with some of the salaries now being offered in our industry, I'd say this is where the NBA, NFL and Major League Baseball want to go.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

With the extra five hours a week, you can always get a part-time job at The Max to make ends meet, like Kelly Kapowski did.

11. No, but Jessica Spano-Belding's daughter is a head cheerleader.

12. BigEast24

BigEast24 New Member

Is it just stinginess? Or can papers like these seriously only offer $20K?

Why would they not just hire stringers to fill their sports section?

Draft saved Draft deleted