1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Oshkosh, WI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BarbersGmen, May 31, 2006.

1. BarbersGmen

BarbersGmen Member

Company: Oshkosh Northwestern
    Position:Sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: July 5, 2006
    Job ID: 643557
    Description:
    The Oshkosh (Wis.) Northwestern is seeking a sports editor who is not afraid to challenge the status quo and is able to manage a reorganization of the sports department. We are looking for a candidate with the vision to incorporate new ideas for online sports journalism with the best of print journalism.

The successful candidate will have innovative ideas that focus resources on enhanced local coverage by managing a staff of four fulltime positions, two part time positions and stringers. Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential as the sports editor is a key member of the newsroom management team.

While design skills are important, more important to us are writing, planning and coaching skills. Candidates whose ideal job is to hunker down behind a computer screen five days of the week need not apply. Our sports editor will be our lead columnist and have high visibility in the sports community. Applicants should possess a bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field and three to five years of journalism experience at a daily newspaper or equivalent combination of education and experience.

The Northwestern (25,000 AM) is an award winning newspaper in a community of 60,000 that is home to the third largest UW campus. Benefits include health and life insurance and 401(k) with company contributions.

To apply, send your submission to Stew Rieckman, executive editor, Oshkosh Northwestern, PO Box 2926 Oshkosh, Wis., 54903 or e-mail to srieckman@thenorthwestern.com

**Anybody know anything about this job? I sent my stuff in for the sports writer position there last week and now I'm wondering if I should re-send it to the ME?**

2. Cactushead

Cactushead New Member

Any idea of how much this gig would pay?

3. Does anyone know whether I can stilly apply for the reporter gig ... and would I just send my clips to the M.E.?

4. PP and K

PP and K New Member

Call to ask whether they received it. Never hurts. Why wait? I wouldn't think people are storming the doors for jobs in Oshkosh. They might see your phone call as enthusiasm and initiative and invite you for an interview. Or they might not.

I wouldn't resend the stuff. Once is enough.

It's the EE, not the ME. They won't hire you if you can't pay attention to details.

5. Pops

Pops Member

If you're the SE at a smaller daily they'll hand you a key to the city. I guarantee they've gotten nothing but weakly, er, weekly people and UW-Oshkosh grads. Good luck to whoever gets it cleaning up the staff writing ... yikes.

6. BarbersGmen

BarbersGmen Member

I called and asked about the reporter job, they've already filled it internally.

7. Wisconsin Cowboy

Wisconsin Cowboy New Member

I'd steer clear. The preps writer just left to take an editor job, and the SE left to take a Packers Preview designer job. Whoever takes this job will be walking into a difficult situation, and there is word that another staffer is tinkering with leaving.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Said preps writer is a putz. Just my two cents' worth.

And you're probably right; I hear this job is no great shakes by any means.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Is this the paper where the infamous Norwich SE landed?

10. rgd

rgd Guest

No. That was another paper in the state, somewhere up north.

11. CRM

CRM Member

This might get wrapped up on Thursday with only a few candidates only getting considered. One is in-house and the other is part of the mess that the infamous Norwich SE has created at the other Gannett Wisconsin papers. Not sure who is else is up for the job.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

what mess are u refering to?

Draft saved Draft deleted