1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by NI Sports, Jan 29, 2007.

1. NI Sports

NI Sports New Member

The Globe Gazette, an 18,000 daily and 23,000 Sunday newspaper in North Central Iowa is seeking a sports editor. We are looking for an experienced sports journalist who will plan and coordinate the activities of the sports staff to give our readers the best mix of local, regional and national coverage. The sports editor is a hands-on manager who paginates, edits, writes and represents the newspaper in the community. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits including a generous 401(k) with profit sharing and matching funds, vacation, etc. Please send us your vision of what an ideal sports section should be, references, salary requirements, and your resume. Apply by e-mailing to news@globegazette.com.

Pre-employment Drug Screening Required

Equal Opportunity Employer

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

What does "competitive salary" mean?

Nothing against you NI, but when I see a vague post like that, it screams "lowball." This could be $20K or it could be $45K. It's hard to tell.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It means competitive with factory broom pushers in the area ...

4. NI Sports

NI Sports New Member

$30,000 to $40,000, depending on experience.

5. WSKY

WSKY Member

That's a big range. No experience gets you 30, while five years gets you 40?

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I think that's a fair range. It's just stupid for all involved to get a bunch of applications from guys expecting to make $35K, then someone springs it on them that it's a $25K job. Or someone making $50K now, and this is the range. Now no one has to waste each other's time.

I'm not picking on you, NI. It's a pet peeve of mine in job ads. And not just in this business.

7. YaBBforum

YaBBforum Member

NI Sports, sent you a PM ...

Draft saved Draft deleted