1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor Opening - Ocala, Fla

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Riddick, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Lifer

Lifer New Member

I actually think Ocala is a very nice place. It's growing like crazy, has crap-tons of new amenities and is on I-75 about an hour from Tampa and Orlando and even less than that from Gainesville. I think they get all their UF copy from the Gainesville Sun, but I'm also guessing the SE can go to whatever event he/she wants within reason to write a weekly column, and that there's isolated opportunities to attend UF or FSU football games. I believe HS sports in the region are sub-par -- maybe if you're lucky you get a soccer or softball team in the state tourney every now and then, but football and basketball have seen better days with the exception of 1A juggernaut Trinity Catholic, a team that swipes the best athletes from the other schools in the area and is coached by a former UF quarterback. They might've won state last year, but with the lack of competition in the area, their typical regular season game is a 55-0 mind-number. There's also a JC or CC in Ocala that's been known to feed Div. 1 schools with basketball and baseball players.

I'd like to get an idea about pay range and what the office, people and operation are like. Anyone?

Draft saved Draft deleted