1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor Opening - Ann Arbor.........AGAIN!!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Riddick, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Date posted: 9/13/2006
    Newspaper: The Ann Arbor News
    Job listing: Sports Editor
    Contact
    (e-mail): Jim Knight, Managing Editor
    jknight@annarbornews.com
    Phone number: (734) 994-6872
    Information: The Ann Arbor News, a 53,000-circulation paper in Michigan, seeks a sports editor to lead a staff of 10 full-timers and five part-timers.

We're looking for a well-rounded leader who can direct dynamic coverage of University of Michigan athletics, an extensive prep scene and a thriving recreation area. We've earned 12 APSE awards in the last four years, and we emphasize enterprise and explanatory journalism along with comprehensive game and news coverage from our beats.

We offer competitive pay and quality benefits such as a pension plan, excellent health, dental and prescription drug coverage and a 401(k) plan. Qualified applicants will have several years of management experience at a daily newspaper and demonstrate an ability to combine quality content, visually strong presentation and newsroom leadership. The Ann Arbor News is an EOE.

Send a letter and resume to:

Jim Knight
    Managing Editor
    The Ann Arbor News
    P.O. Box 1147
    Ann Arbor, MI 48106-1147

E-mails are also accepted. Send e-mails to:
    jknight@annarbornews.com.

No phone calls, please.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I have no comment.

rb

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

C'mon, rb. One teensy little comment can't hurt.

We won't tell.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And happy anniversary to the News, for this job first graced our boards exactly five months ago today.

Sports editor - Ann Arbor, Mich.
    « on: April 14, 2006, 11:52:04 AM »

May the next five months fly by as quickly as the first.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

It seems like there have been several SE openings that simply go unfilled. Plus, it seems like there are several SE openings in general, which is somewhat odd for this time of year. Kinda curious how some of the staffs are dealing with it.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Upset they aren't being promoted, perhaps?

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Yeah, but being an SE isn't for everyone. Especially at the smaller dailies where the ASE might do more writing than typical SE work. Regardless, for someplace like Ann Arbor, yeah, you're probably right.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

This thread has been shut down for less.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

r
    :)

rb

10. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

(Gun pointed at head, trying not to panic)

"I can't understand why they can't find a SE there. Five months for a paper like that is an eternity. What's going on there?"

But seriously. 5 months?

11. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

My shop went without an editor for almost four months just to save money. How we got by? Any way we could because we didn't want it. The result - my evaluation noted my "negative" attitude towards my work environment. Go figure.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it does seem odd as hell riddick.

not attempting to thread jack, but does anyone have a theory or two?

Draft saved Draft deleted