1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, North Platte, NE

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, May 29, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

This individual supervises sports department, makes story assignments, gathers information and writes sports stories, including production of accompanying photos for publication and supervises layout of sports pages. Interested candidates should have outstanding interviewing and writing skills within prescribed style, a degree in journalism or related field, plus relevant work experience helpful.
    Contact: Job Vigil, Managing Editor The North Platte Telegraph P.O. Box 370 North Platte, NE 69103 Email: jvigil@nptelegraph.com

2. What kind of pay does a gig like this offer? Where is North Platte anyway?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=&city=north+platte&state=NE&zipcode=

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Middle of nowhere, near the panhandle. Been a long time since I've been out that way.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Is the managing editor's name really Job Vigil?

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Last real stop of note between Kearney and Cheyenne, Cabela's not withstanding. It's the farthest west of all the Class A (largest of six) schools in Nebraska, so you likely won't see much of Lincoln or Omaha until the postseason.

NP High has intermittent success. NP St. Pat's is usually pretty good in Class D.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Sitting at a UCLA football news conference the week of the Nebraska game, looking through the Cornhuskers release, seeing the note that "on game day, the stadium has the third largest population base in the state behind Omaha and Lincoln." That raised the question: Can anybody here name another city in Nebraska? Somebody came up with Norfolk since Johnny Carson was from there. Nobody else could name another city.

8. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Are there two papers in North Platte?

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

How much time do you have? ;D Having spent 20 or so years there, I could probably name you a couple.

10. I'm a recent grad from there, so I could name a few as well (and even give you the high school mascot as well, gotta love prep calls) but I won't bother.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Hell, we knew 3, that was pretty good.

12. I knew a hot chick from Blair.

Draft saved Draft deleted