1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, New Britain (Conn.) Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Nov 15, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

"BYH, pick up line 1 on the courtesy phone, please. BYH, line 1."

From journalismjobs.com:
    Company: New Britain Herald
    Position:
    Seeking Sports Editor, Night Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    December 19, 2006
    Job ID: 702212

Description:
    The New Britain Herald is seeking a Sports Editor to lead an aggressive team focused on comprehensive local coverage and a Night Editor with great news judgement and a flair for headline writing and presentation who can manage copy desk page flow for The Herald and its sister dailies in Central Connecticut. Get your foot in the door at Journal Register Co., a leading publicly traded newspaper company where there are numerous advancement opportunities. Send a cover letter, resume and examples of your work to Matt DeRienzo, c/o The Herald, One Herald Square, New Britain, Conn. 06050, or e-mail mderienzo@journalregister.com.

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Re: Slave labor, New Britain (Conn.) Herald

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/29978/

Ahem.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I don't think I was being extraordinarily flip. JRC puts its employees in positions where they work 70-hour weeks for 40-hour pay. That's indentured servitude.

And I don't think there's anyone on the board that would disagree with that statement.

4. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

5. Run far, far away. This is not a place you want to be at.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

By the way, fmrsped, I'm glad we have someone around here who spends their time policing the board. After all, we do need Internet cops!

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I drove through New Britain last week. At night, though, so I have no idea what it really looks like. I do know the interviewer and he's good stock.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh dear God how did I miss this the first time?

Prince is right. Run far away and do not look back until you're a few states away.

And Songbird, New Britain sucks at any time of the day.

With that out of the way...*cracking knuckles*

Description:
    The New Britain (such a crappy city we won't even come up with bullshit adjectives like we do when trying to fill gigs at Trenton) Herald is seeking a (sucker) Sports Editor to lead an aggressive (when you are overworked, you have to work harder to catch up, so therefore aggressive is not a complete lie) team (small team) focused on comprehensive (all the news that's fit to print 2 1/2 pages) local coverage (no UConn for you!) and a (very late) Night Editor with great (great meaning optional) news judgement (and, more importantly, no desire to rock the boat) and a flair for headline writing (we really don't care) and presentation (do exactly what Jelenic says or he's going to call and yell at the guy who wrote this ad) who can manage (read all the) copy desk page flow (really, it's more of a trickle) for The Herald and its (red-headed step) sister dailies in Central Connecticut (State University is the only decent sports gig here, run!!!). Get your foot in the door (then cut it right the fuck off before gangrene sets in) at Journal Register Co., a (mis)leading publicly traded (today's closing price: $8.30 and deropping like our circ) newspaper company (that term is used loosely) where there are numerous advancement (career suicide) opportunities (because no one except butt-kissing weasels who hate journalism want to work for us). Send a cover letter, resume (use both sides if at all possible so that you can get used to conservation) and examples of your work (these are really unnecessary if you are willing to work cheap enough) to Matt DeRienzo (the guy who has raced thru the ranks because he's a butt-kissing weasel), c/o The Herald, One Herald Square, New Britain, Conn. 06050, or e-mail mderienzo@journalregister.com (no phone calls, Jelenic cut the power).[/quote]

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The newly worded ad is funny, but Matt's a good guy.

10. GeorgeScott

GeorgeScott Member

I remember that job being open not too long ago. Any idea what happened to the SE? Promoted or did he just say this place sux?

11. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

BYH, you mentioned the stock price. It was actually down below $5.50 a share last month, if you can believe it (I'm sure you can). There's rumblings that Jelenic will be ejecting his 24-karat golden parachute leaving at the end of the year, so maybe that has something to do with the rebound.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah we had that discussion here. Someone found a memo or something in which it was noted that the only person who will survive the JRC's nosedive unscathed is the sack of shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted