1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, New Braunfels, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I work with a guy now, who was a newswriter in the past few years at the H-Zeitung and he tells horror stories.
    They had a 3-story-per-day mandate and the morale was awful.
    Everyone hated the management and the editors.

Just one man's perspective.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

That place doesn't generate enough news for three stories per day. A story per day, I can see. Maybe even two. But three? And I definitely know that they can't be looking for three stories per day in sports.

3. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

I will second the horror stories. I had a friend that was lifestyles editor there that has since left the business and called her experience a living hell.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And they have that job posted as well.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Crikey, Batman!! With all the negative shit I hear about jobs (not just this one, either), makes me wonder why ANY remotely sane person wants to work in this industry. Let's see now: no money, crummy hours, obnixious bosses, declining revenues, staff cutbacks. Someone please remind me what the upside is again?? Please!!!

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Well, between the pay, the benefits and the treatment you certainly get a chance to prove you can take a joke.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Free food in the pressboxes, man.
    What'choo talkin' bout !
    And HOT young women handing you a microphone to ask questions at the conference tournament postgame pressers.

8. highlander

highlander Member

Two words - Will Wright.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not at New Braunfels. Any food in the press box is what you hiked down the stairs and bought from some member of the booster club running the concession stand at halftime.

Will Wright: Actually worked with the guys, back in the last millenium. The man was not without his strengths.

Draft saved Draft deleted