1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Nevada, MO

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My sister went to school up thataway, and explained the Nor-fork thing to me once. Apparently, the settlers wanted to name it Norfork because it was at the north fork of whatever river is there. When they sent the paperwork to Washington to incorporate, however, the bureaucrats assumed the settlers wanted to name it Norfolk, after the city in Virginia.
    Hence, it's officially Norfolk. But locals call it Norfork.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I filled in for Joe on the Thanksgiving Day Chiefs-Broncos game last year. Joe set things up for me, since I was basically using his pass. When I got to the gate, though, they didn't have the info for some reason and I thought I was going to have to get right back in the car and drive back. But a couple of phone calls had things solved in less than 5 minutes.

And, maybe this was because it was Thanksgiving, I don't know, but the main press box wasn't completely full. Chances are if you ask, you can get in (Though the Chiefs would prefer you be there for every home game, not just one or two).

It used to be pretty easy to get in to cover the Royals. Joe set things up when we went and covered a game for the weekend ed last year (I did the game piece; Joe did a feature on former Griffons), so it may have been just as easy for him. I tried to get passes from the Cardinals two years ago when the Braves were in town (Adam LaRoche graduated from Fort Scott High) and they were difficult. They also told me to call the Braves and I ended up with a number that didn't work. I have no idea if that's typical but that's my experience.

I once asked Paul Stevens, who heads the AP Kansas City office (or at least is up at the top of it) if Kansas was unique in the number of really small dailies it has (F.S., Iola, Clay Center, Lyons, Colby and the like) and he said it was. There are also some small dailies in MO and IA. That's probably why they can get into Chiefs games --- around here, there's about as many of them as there are bigger dailies.

(Oh, and my name is Scott...nice to meet ya)

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

did you forget to use blue font?

Draft saved Draft deleted