1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor needed: Lumberton, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BYUSportsGuy, Jul 1, 2009.

1. dukeman26

dukeman26 New Member

Drip
    His point was that many of the applicants are simply going to demand more than he can pay. Have you applied?

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Any reasonable applicant is going to have some idea what the pay would be, so assuming that those "overqualified" would seek too much is another straw argument.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bullshit. The guy told a bud of mine who has been out of work for a while about the pay. Bud was looking at it as a way of returning to the business and doing what he likes. The money he said wasn't great but he was willing to give it a shot.
    It's not the first time that I've heard crap like that happening at Lumberton and a couple of other outposts that keep cropping up with openings on a constant basis.
    And no, I haven't applied.

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Most people could care less about the pay as long as they're working.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That's for sure. To say someone is overqualified is an oxymoron, especially in these times.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

We're talking about Donnie. In some circles, the word oxy is omitted.

7. dukeman26

dukeman26 New Member

So here's the math: Three people who worked there basically said he was an all-right guy and they learned a lot, and then some folks who apparently haven't worked there -- and one guy who had a single conversation with him -- apparently know more.

As I said, i would call him. His number is 910 272-6104 and you might get a clue. I am sure he like any editor would want to hire the best person available. If you called him and knew what the pay is then you probably would understand. Shit flows uphill at a newspaper.

And Drip: It's debatable whether Donnie's an ass, but he is far from a moron. I assure you.

8. GatorChomp16

GatorChomp16 New Member

Take it from me, most of the folks commenting might not have worked there, but they're far from wrong about the conditions there. The sports editor position is hard at this shop because ultimately you have little to no say in how your section looks, how it reads and what's a priority in terms of coverage. What's worse is that even when you bow to the editor's wishes in terms of what he wants in the section, that might change the following week. What he told you to do a month ago isn't what he wants you to do the next month.

It's bananas, man.

Most people go to that place with a good attitude, and it doesn't take long before their attitudes change.

And I can't be accused of piling on because I speak from experience. Robesonian graduate, c/o of 2007.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

And for what they're paying, the agony doesn't make it worthwhile.

10. dukeman26

dukeman26 New Member

I wouldn't dispute Gator's experience, but mine was vastly different. Donnie hardly bothered with sports. In fact, he seldom saw the section until it was published. The priority was clear: high school sports coverage and UNCP coverage as warranted. He spend many afternoons editing copy with me when I know he had other duties. I know he helped me with my writing.
    In fact, when he meddled, it was often to help. He would write a local golf roundup b/c he played golf and was connected with the clubs. He would also take call-ins in the morning if the staff was tied up. But I haven't worked for him since about 2004 so maybe things are different.

11. GatorChomp16

GatorChomp16 New Member

No one said Donnie wasn't a help. He's a big help. Sometimes he's such a big help that he doesn't let capable people do their jobs.

As far as him taking calls, it should be known that a lot of times people call Donnie directly because he is from Lumberton and worked at the paper for a long time (part of the time as the sports editor). So there are still people who call him before actually trying to get to the sports staff. And if someone does go through the sports staff first and are not satisfied with the answer, they know to go to Donnie who will almost assuredly accommodate.

Again, just another example of why sports editor is not a desirable job. You're the boss when there's either a problem or Donnie needs someone to get mad at....or when your staff runs out of hours and a few more needs to get piled on the salaried sports editor.

This is speaking specifically about the sports editor job and the two editors I had at the paper. Donnie certainly does do his best to see a good paper is put out, including trying to help young staffers. But it can be a bit much. I got the feeling that most times things weren't a "good idea" unless Donnie first got his hands on it and tweaked it (not necessarily making it better, just changing it) just for the sake of changing it. If that's the case, what's the value of the editor? That's the way my editors felt.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Gator, it's like that at a lot of papers. I have to produce stories that only a handful of people care about. But if they're tight with the editor I have to bite my tongue and do the stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted