1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Nantucket

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DENNY, Aug 16, 2006.

1. DENNY

DENNY Guest

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=434131

The salary is $35,000-40,000 for a weekly?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: There once was a job in Nantucket

It's expensive there... I know of a woman who had to play the cello because she couldn't make ends meet running a lunch counter at the airport

3. Cheapest house is $2 million, I think.

4. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I had heard of her while I was there. ... I thought someone told me she also turned tricks with the dopy plane mechanic.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nah... she was getting drilled by the owner/pilot of a one-horse commuter run...

6. There once was a sportswriter from Nantucket whose column was so long he could ....

what????

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

If an immigrant from Italy can make a living there by driving a taxi, I'm sure it's not that bad.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I covered a high school football game there a few years ago. It was early October, when all the seasonal tourist places were starting to shut down. It was quite an experience.
    On the cab ride from the ferry to the school, the driver pointed out an old woman in a bright yellow VW Bug. "Oh, that's [whatever her name was]. She drives around with a 12-pack in the back seat and a stack of business cards for an auto body shop that she has an account with. Whenever she hits somebody, she just gives them a card."
    During the game, the sports editor who was leaving (for a job on Martha's Vineyard) was helping out the new guy, telling him about the job and life on the island. The one thing he said that I remember was that living on an island forces you to be nice. On the mainland, if you're rude to people, you may never see them again. On an island, you're going to run into the same people over and over. There's no getting away from them. If you're rude to them, they'll remember you.
    I'm not sure I could handle living in a place like that year-round regardless of the salary.

9. Damn ya beat me.

10. hawk

hawk Guest

Houses rent for $2,000-plus a week in the summer

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The Island Bowl between Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard is supposed to be one of those experiences a true sports fan should experience before they hit the dirt. The Boston Globe did an awesome feature on it about 10 years ago.

12. PBOWKER

PBOWKER Member

I'll tell ya, the best writing assignments I ever got were those Saturday morning high school footballl games on Nantucket Island while I was but a mere stringer for the Cape Cod Times.
    When the Whalers had a home game, there was a small eight-seater that would be sent to Hyannis from Nantucket. All the game officials and I would climb aboard ("one-eye Charlie," he was called) and we'd make the 20-minute flight to Nantucket. A school official would meet us and drive us to the field.
    When Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard, there is NO bigger thing going on the island that whole week. It really is THE moment for anybody who plays in that game, the kind of tale you will hear down by the docks 50 years later.
    But my best story is the day they needed one person to stay behind at the airport after the game because there weren't enough seats on the charter plane going back to Hyannis. I glady volunteered, since it was a morning game and still mid-afternoon, spent the next three hours getting snookered in the Nantucket airport with Helen, Roy, the ????? Brothers and the Italian taxi driver, flying into Hyannis in the early evening feeling no pain at all, and writing the story of my life.
    I believe the six beers were paid for in the way of an airport voucher.
    Or ... maybe Helen just gave them to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted