1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor -- (Nampa) Idaho Press-Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Dec 4, 2013.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Idaho Press-Tribune, a dynamic media source in one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the Pacific Northwest, needs a sports editor.
    The Idaho Press-Tribune supports multiple platforms of information delivery including print, website, social networking, email, video and mobile devices. The sports editor reports to the managing editor and oversees a four-person staff; salary range is $25,000 to $30,000. Qualified applicants must have journalism experience, a good understanding of sports, the ability to design a daily quality sports section and special Game Day sections, a commitment to embrace digital layers, an understanding of hyper-local community journalism and an eagerness to grasp changes in the industry. Located in Nampa about 20 miles from Boise, the state capital, the area offers national-caliber entertainment options, a four-season climate that provides close access to skiing and other winter sports, urban recreation, and nearby camping and warm-weather outdoors activities, a wide range of parks and related amenities as well as safe schools and neighborhoods. Send your PDF'd resume, cover letter and six examples of your work -- including page design -- to iptsports@idahopress.com.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1260318

2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

That salary seems very low for somebody overseeing a four-person staff and for a paper that sends a Boise State beat reporter on the road.

3. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

That's a salary you would give the reporter. I would expect managing a four-person team earns you at least $40,000.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You know, I was thinking the exact same thing when that job was posted. I know the Statesman is the bigger of the two Boise-area papers, but I agree with Valpo on the salary range. Still, good luck to all.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I think they're about a 20K paper, maybe slightly smaller.

6. arceditor

arceditor New Member

I would at least expect them to crack $30K.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That would be reasonable, given what other places similar size pay.

I think the mistake people make with them is regarding them as a head-to-head competitor with the Idaho Statesman. They're not, really. The Statesman is far larger and has more resources. I think of the IPT as a typical local small or mid-size town daily that happens to be located within a half hour's drive of the big city. That has both advantages and disadvantages. But I doubt many people are ditching the Statesman and taking the IPT for the sake of, say, college or state government coverage.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Something is going on here. Sports editor opening. And now they're looking for a managing editor:

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1079337

Little bit better pay range.

9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Except they don't know where they are in relation to Boise.

Draft saved Draft deleted