1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Metro Boston

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by rvarrial, Jan 7, 2009.

1. rvarrial

rvarrial New Member

PM or email me (rvarrial@metro.us) if you have any questions. Actual resumes/applications need to go through our HR site (link below) but I'll do my best to answer any questions. I held the Metro NY SE position when I first joined the company so I have a pretty good idea of what the job entails and what it can be.

This job is based in our Boston office and will work along with our SEs in Philadelphia and New York to collaborate on sharable content across the cities. Atop the list of what we're looking for is a willingness to rethink what a daily sports section can be -- think ESPN Page 2 ahead of ESPN's main page -- for a generation of people who have never gotten into the habit of reading a daily paper. The opportunity exists to divide your time between coverage and desk (our departing SE covered the Patriots).

If you're not familiar with Metro, we strive to be the newspaper for the young, professional, city-minded readers who are looking for their news in a hurry. That doesn't mean boiling down a traditional paper into 24 pages, it means finding the news those readers want and need and presenting it in a way that's a blend of informative, fun, and provocative. To get a better sense of what we are, check www.readmetro.com for past editions.

Ad is on mediabistro and our HR site:

----
    http://www.mediabistro.com/joblistings/jobview.asp?joid=86585&page=1

http://tbe.taleo.net/NA6/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=METRO&cws=4&rid=184

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

A week has gone by and no one has offered any insight on this one ..... I'll get it started: Who can offer insight on this one?

3. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

Anyone got particulars on this? Are the Metro freebies doing well? Do they offer a decent wage?

4. rvarrial

rvarrial New Member

Thanks to everyone who has reached out with questions. I think I've gotten back to everyone who wrote, so if you didn't hear back, drop me another note because I wasn't ignoring you, your email just got lost in the shuffle. Make sure to put "Boston sports editor" in the subject line. Also, it might be worth noting that I think we've gotten more resumes for this job than when the NY SE job was open last winter (or at least a much deeper pool of very good candidates). Definitely a lot of talented folks out there.

Our outgoing SE is gone at the end of this week, so we're moving quickly. If you were planning to apply, do so right away, and just to make sure it doesn't get lost in the HR abyss, feel free to email me. I'll stick my contact info below. If anyone still sends real clips, the address is there, but electronic is the way to go. If you are mailing hard copies, alert me by email so they don't end up in my mountain of unopened mail.

----

Ron Varrial
    U.S. News Editor
    44 Wall Street
    8th Floor
    New York, NY 10005
    rvarrial (at) metro.us
    Metro is the largest and fastest growing international newspaper in the world. Metro is published in nearly 100 major cities in 21 countries across Europe, North & South America and Asia. Metro has a unique global reach - attracting a young, active, well-educated Metropolitan audience of 18.5 million daily readers. Metro has an equal number of male and female readers, of which 70% are under the age of 45.

5. SportsGuyRD

SportsGuyRD New Member

Is there a staff here or just the SE and stringers? Any chance this is filled from within or is this a legitimate outside search?

Seems like a great gig, which scares me that it's too good to be true

6. KrisRD

KrisRD New Member

Metro has a great reach in Boston and has good cred in Beantown. Having done work with Metro, I have nothing but good things to say about the organization. The pay is prompt and competitive and the staff tends to be young and hip. They like to think outside the box in coverage and aren't just content with AP-esque stories. If you have to cover a Pats' practice, they'd be more interested in a story on how the scout team's quarterback mimics JaMarcus Russell during practice for the Raiders' game that week rather than a standard report/blog. If you can think outside the box and be pithy with tight, clean copy, it's a good fit.

7. rvarrial

rvarrial New Member

Thanks to everyone who expressed interest in this job. We moved quickly and have filled the position.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Filled it well, I might add, with a young man I think has great ability. Congrats on a fine hire.

9. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Can we get a name of the winner?

10. Moderator1

Don't suppose there's any harm.
    Adam Smartschan, a young man from Northeastern University. I considered him very strongly for an internship when I was at the TD but the timing didn't work out as he was involved in some interviews for better jobs. To his credit, he didn't want to commit anything to me only to have to withdraw later.
    He worked at one of the Boston suburban papers, Quincy I think, while a student at Northeastern. Did some VERY nice work. Not at all sure what he's been up to the past year.
    It's tossed around here as a joke but I would certainly call him a young stud as far as this business goes. He was high on my list as a future hire before I left the paper.

11. AJSmartschan

AJSmartschan New Member

Aww, shucks ...

12. Moderator1

Oh shit! He's here.
    Good thing I didn't say what I really think!

But seriously folks, great hire and congrats to you, young Adam.

Draft saved Draft deleted