1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, McComb, Ms

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Sports Editor wanted for 11,000-circulation afternoon daily in southwest Mississippi. The ideal candidate must be able to cover the Big 3 of sports — baseball, basketball and football — as well as give due attention to other activities, from swimming to volleyball and track and field.

Organizational skills and the ability to work under tight deadlines are a must. Mastery of Quark Xpress and AP style are essential, as is strong writing and editing skills and a solid news judgment.

Our sports department is a one-man show. The newspaper has one staff photographer who has an eagle eye and covers most local sporting events. The ideal candidate also must be able to manage and recruit stringers, work with coaches and write compelling sports features.

This paper's primary sports coverage includes four high schools and a community college in Pike County, Miss., as well as about a half dozen other schools in neighboring counties and Tangipahoa Parish, La.

Our sports pages also focus on the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss), Mississippi State University, the University of Southern Mississippi and Louisiana State University, as well as the local kids who make good and get into the NFL, Major Leagues or the NBA.

McComb is a little more than an hour's drive away from New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Jackson and the Mississippi Gulf Coast. The cost of living is low, the team rivalries are intense and opportunity is knocking.

Send resume, cover letter and clips immediately to P.O. Box 2009, McComb, MS 39649, news@enterprise-journal.com or by fax to (601)684-0836.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

70 hours a week should almost get this job done.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's an Emerich paper and you will work. Won't be 70 hours but you will earn every penny. There is an opportunity to do some good work and with a little luck and a break in the economy, leave there for something better.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Covering those scintilating Parklane Academy athletic programs which hardly ever win academy, all-white state titles.
    The parents of those kids buy lots of advertising so you gotta cover the school.

McComb High Tigers teams are in the MHSAA and are almost all-black. That's the best athletics in that town, but those teams also fail to win many state titles.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wasnt this open not too long ago?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

It wasn't open per se. The SE was contemplating leaving but didn't. Resumes were collected. I think the situation has since changed.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

South Pike's a solid contender, though. And don't forget Amite County, the alma mater of "haw!" Jerry Clower.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I think they cover Franklin County HS, which has had some successful programs recently, and Tylertown (which is also in their area) made it to the state football finals last fall for the first time.

And I wouldn't necessarily classify Parklane as an athletic wasteland. They're competitive, just not quite at the level of Jackson Prep or Jackson Academy, the two dominant private school programs in the state that they have to beat to get anywhere in postseason.

9. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

As someone with knowledge of the situation, the present SE is leaving to return to his home state for a new job.

It's not a bad place to start. The management is good compared with a lot of smaller papers and they'll let you do what you want to do. But it's a grind. It takes 70 hours a week just to do a decent section. The pay won't make you rich, but they're not going to lowball you either with a payscale that'll put you on a Ramon Noodles diet living in Section 8 housing. And the cost of living in town is very inexpensive.

They have a top-notch press, new computers and they're all-color now, as far as I know. They're the flagship of the Emmerich chain and their equipment shows it. ME Matt Williamson and publisher Jack Ryan are great people to work for and will not meddle with your affairs.

The town is not too great for entertainment. There is one bar that is quite nice, but the bars close at midnight. No exceptions. Baton Rouge and NOLA aren't far away though. And Jackson is close if that's your cup of tea. The closest movie theater is Hammond, across the border. Being a single guy in town definitely has its drawbacks.

South Pike is pretty decent in football. McComb is too. North Pike is the biggest bunch of whiners who will be a thorn in your side, . Parklane is the home of the Spears clan and is pretty decent in softball. Southwest is decent in basketball, middling in football. You'll have Franklin Tylertown, Bogue Chitto, Franklin County, Amite County, Wilkinson County, tiny Dexter and Salem as your outlying schools, while Jewel Sumner and Kentwood (see ya under the water tower!) Kangaroos are your outlying schools across the border in Louisiana. Kentwood is a powerhouse, Sumner sometimes is too.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

whattaya say now, drip?

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Tom, I don't have anything to say. I never said anything bad about McComb. I know it's a one-pony town that will burn you up but I believe you can still put out a decent section without working 70 hour. But I could be wrong Tom.
    I think one thing we both can agree on, you will be working your butt off.

12. Our sports pages also focus on the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss), Mississippi State University, the University of Southern Mississippi and Louisiana State University, as well as the local kids who make good and get into the NFL, Major Leagues or the NBA.

Really? And by all of this you mean AP right? I can't possibly imagine one guy being able to go to any of this himself. My shop focused on the Super Bowl this year too...doesn't mean any of us WENT there

Draft saved Draft deleted