1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor- Maryville, MO

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1538898

Company: Cobb Publishing
    Position:
    Seeking Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires:
    December 1, 2013
    Job ID: 1538898

Description:

Cobb Publishing, a family-owned print and digital media company, located in Maryville, Missouri, is looking for a sports editor. A minimum of two years of experience is desired, but will train the right person. Must be able to organize coverage of all sports for seven county high schools and a local NCAA Division II university. This is an opportunity to cover one of the most successful Division II football programs in the country, the Northwest Missouri State University Bearcats, as well as perennial state high school football title contenders, the Maryville Spoofhounds. Must be proficient in journalistic writing, interviewing, page layout and photography. Will be working with Mac computers and Adobe software. This is a fantastic opportunity to work for an employer who cares about its employees and the communities in which it does business. If you are a proven leader who wants to embrace this incredible opportunity, e-mail your resume, cover letter and at least three references to: pcobb@thepostads.com.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Boy, talk about an interesting time to work at the Maryville, Mo., paper ...

[/crossthread]

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Spoofhounds? Is that a typo?

4. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Here's the Wikipedia history, take it how you will:

The Spoofhound was a Plaster of Paris carnival toy from the 1920s. Maryville is now the only school in the country to use the Spoofhound as its mascot. Although originally two words, Maryville uses a one word Spoofhound for its mascot.

Legend has it that the high school received this nickname in the 1920s when the football coach L.E. Ziegler was so angry with the way his squad had looked in practice that as an insult he said they looked like a bunch of "Spoofhounds". The players mockingly referred to one another by this insult and the name stuck. In the 1940s, Ziegler became the superintendent of schools for Columbia, Missouri where the mascot is also named for an early 20th-century doll—the Kewpies.[5] Maryville's mascot has evolved over the years from a lovable buffoon "Spoofy" to a snarling "Hound." ESPN recognized the Spoofhound as one of its top mascot names and enshrined the Spoofhound in their "Mascot Hall of Fame." As of 2009, no other academic institution or sports club had adopted the nickname.

5. Simon

Simon Active Member

I know a decent amount of stuff about this job if anyone wants more info.

Obviously, this town comes with some baggage these days.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Maybe I missed overlooked it in the ad listing, but is this a weekly? Doesn't GateHouse own the daily?

7. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I believe you're right. My earlier (now removed) observation was based on the Daily Forum, which is Gatehouse. Thanks.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Pretty cool. I had never read that before.

Draft saved Draft deleted