1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Marshfield, Mass.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Oct 30, 2008.

1. IanA1985

IanA1985 Member

Well, I'm not badmouthing anybody. The editor (who will remain nameless) for these papers is a very nice man. I was just wondering what the situation was. Who knows, a family emergency might have happened. I just wanted to ask the board and see what people think I should do because I've never been in a situation before where I've applied, been interviewed, then never heard back when I was explicitly told that I would have an answer within a week either way. Thanks.

-Ian

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Ian --
    That's all fine and good, but next time you don't need to tell us anything about yourself or defend yourself when asking. Just ask the question and, eventually, someone who knows something will answer. It takes time -- for them to make a decision and for folks in SJ to get answers.

3. NESportsGuy

NESportsGuy New Member

For what it's worth, I sent in my resume and clips for this about two weeks ago, and got an e-mail about it the middle of last week, asking if I'd be able to interview. I replied yes, and since then, I haven't gotten a response. So, I'm not entirely sure what the deal is.

As for the $27,000, considering that they're basically looking to hire someone out of college or without a ton of experience, I think that's pretty standard and appropriate in the current climate. When's the last time there was an entry-level job advertised that paid $30k+/year that wasn't in a place with a high cost of living? That place out in New Britain that folded was in the low-20s / $9 an hour, if I remember correctly.

4. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

True, all four of those towns are pretty ritzy. But who says you can't live in a neighboring town, where rent is much more affordable?

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Here's a novel idea -- if you don't care for the way somebody has presented himself on a job hunt, or if you don't care for the questions he's asked, or if he's asked a question you think is sexist?

Sit on your damn typing hands and don't say anything.

FOR ONCE.

6. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

Ritzy? I would say there are ritzy areas. There are affordable places to live almost anywhere. Why does everyone generalize?

7. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

Hire has been made ...

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Cool. For a $27K job, this thread's getting a lot of run.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Did Ian get the gig?

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Of course, there are affordable places anywhere. And with people hurting nowadays, maybe you'll find someone more willing to rent out their basement. But the South Shore in general is expensive, and apartments are not cheap.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, but he's right, wicked. Why do people generalize? All you need is one apartment.

12. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

If any of you guys find an affordable place to live in Scituate, I will wash your car for a month. Straight up.

Draft saved Draft deleted