1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Marshfield, Mass.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

From Journalismjobs.com

If you live in/around Massachusetts or are planning to relocate within the next two weeks, please respond.

Seeking Sports Editor to cover 4 towns on the South Shore - based in Marshfield, Mass.

GateHouse Media New England, aka Community Newspaper Company, has an opening for a Sports Editor covering the South Shore towns of Cohasset, Norwell, Pembroke and Scituate Massachusetts. As the Sports Editor for these four communities, you will be responsible for coordinating coverage of high school sports for your assigned coverage area. This includes talking to coaches, student athletes, attending games, being a presence in the community and the newsroom, writing sports features, as well as covering and reporting on games and other events related to sports in the communities. You will also be asked to help coordinate stringers to cover games, write features, and subsequently edit their stories. The editor will also coordinate youth sports coverage with coaches and parents for those towns. The Sports Editor will also work closely with paginators to design and produce sports pages (avg. of 3 pages per week for each town)

We are looking for compelling sports pages that go beyond the boring game result stories that are a week old. We are looking for strong feature stories to anchor the sports pages and stories that capture the many different angles of high school sports and beyond. The position requires someone who is organized and that can handle many tasks and cover multiple towns. Also looking for someone who can work well with others and handle deadline pressure and can meet deadlines. It also requires supervisory skills in terms of working with freelance writings and coordinating coverage with staff and freelance photographers. Other requirements include daily postings to the web sites; multimedia knowledge is a huge plus as successful candidates will almost certainly need to work alongside the New Media Editor to help create slideshows and videos. If you have an interest in joining our award-winning media team, send your resume and newspaper clips to Gregory Mathis, Senior Managing Editor, Community Newspaper Company, 165 Enterprise Drive, Marshfield, MA 02050, or by e-mail to gmathis@cnc.com. Salary is $27,000.

GateHouse Media New England is an Equal Opportunity Employer

2. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

As first gigs go -- and I know it's GHM, 27K, etc -- what do y'all think?

3. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

food stamps. 27k in 2008 is ridiculous.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Considering that most of the gigs I see advertised on here are 22-25K, I'm not as quick to call 27 food stamps. Not good, but not food stamps.

5. bob

bob Member

22-25k might be OK in Kansas or wherever, but it won't go very far in the Boston area. On the other hand, it's a starting point for you. I just don't know where it could lead these days.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ramen. You can have a different flavor every night.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Good luck finding any apartment you can afford on that salary in any of the towns you'll be covering or be working in.

I've seen the Rule of Three: jobs or roommates. I'd definitely say the Rule of Two applies here, and if you want to live somewhere nice, maybe the Rule of Three.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

30k is food stamps if you have kids.

9. IanA1985

IanA1985 Member

I'm a journalism student right out of college and I was called in for an interview and was told I'd know either way in a week. Well, we're approaching two-week mark and I still haven't heard anything. So, here I am patiently waiting. I think I at least deserve to know either way. Agree?

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Have you called them and asked about the status of the hire?

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I've heard that line a few times. Send a polite e-mail asking if they've made a decision? I won't hurt.

12. IanA1985

IanA1985 Member

No...should I call? I sent a follow-up email last Friday, and to no avail. Should I now call at this point?

Draft saved Draft deleted