1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Marietta, Ga

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's a rather simplistic answer. Of course it's a problem when people leave. How do you prevent them from doing so? Those changes have to come from above.

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

This is for the Neighbors gig at a paper that already doesn't let its people outside the building?

Ewwwwwwww .... I can envision this thread ended with a lock.

3. boots

boots New Member

Otis can be a prick to work for but I honestly believes that he wants to put a quality product out there. There are those in managment who believe you can shuffle personnel like cards and that has got to change.
    What would you do?

4. boots

boots New Member

When I see the paper, both the Neighbor edition and the regular edition, I see a paper that could be one of the better ones in the greater Atlanta area. When it comes to preps in that area, they should hold a monopoly , especially in the county.
    They have had good people there and they have some promising people there. But you can't keep treating people like shit and expecting them to enjoy it. Like it says in the Bible, the meek shall inherit the Earth and once someone gets a chance to leave that environment, they do. Many times, they go somewhere better.
    That's something Bumbry and his underlings can do something about.

5. boots

boots New Member

I've yet to hear any of your ideas.

6. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Ain't nothing gonna ever change at Fairground Street. They treat people like shit and don't care how fast or how often they have to replace the underlings.
    One of the happiest days of my life was the day I turned in my notice at the MDJ. And I ain't never looked back. I miss Marietta - a good time truly was had by all, outside of work - but the MDJ? NFW.
    BTW, I ran into the president, who runs the day to day ops, at an awards convention a few years ago. We were quite civil toward each other, even though I thought he was a steaming pile of shit when I worked for him.

7. boots

boots New Member

Since you worked there. Can you be specific as to how you were treated like shit?

8. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Instead of tearing down the MDJ or the Neighbors spot, let's try to put up some constructive criticism about this gig. Maybe it will help the person coming in MAKE a difference.
    [/quote]

I'm pretty sure that's what I did, bootsy. This isn't an MDJ gig. It's a Neighbor gig, which I specifically addressed in my post as being different from an MDJ one. It's not a good job, mostly because you have extremely limited resources to work with, very little editing of your work and few people reading your stuff. But it's better than the MDJ because you're not subject nearly as much to the whims of The Brumby.

So why should we here want to figure out how to fix the MDJ? Brumby and the rest have shown little interest in making this a better product, so why should we bother? Honestly, I don't know.

9. boots

boots New Member

I'm pretty sure that's what I did, bootsy. This isn't an MDJ gig. It's a Neighbor gig, which I specifically addressed in my post as being different from an MDJ one. It's not a good job, mostly because you have extremely limited resources to work with, very little editing of your work and few people reading your stuff. But it's better than the MDJ because you're not subject nearly as much to the whims of The Brumby.

So why should we here want to figure out how to fix the MDJ? Brumby and the rest have shown little interest in making this a better product, so why should we bother? Honestly, I don't know.
    [/quote]
    I would think for the same reason that people come on here to tear it down.
    Have either of you two ever seen the paper? Better yet, do you know where Marietta, Ga. is without going to google or mapquest or some other search engine.
    You two come on here trying to make yourselves look big by downing someone who sees the publications and knows something about what's going on there.
    It's easy to down a publication. How about building one up? You have entirely too much time on your hands. Go outside. Pick up a hobby. Do something besides being negative over a computer blog. You'll find out that life is wonderful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.