1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Marietta, Ga

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, so? Marietta's got the Big Chicken and a town with mandatory gun laws 10 miles up the road. What's your point?

2. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Yeah, I was thinking this when I read the ad. It says it's for a "weekly," though I'm not sure which weekly would be based in Marietta. I guess it's possible they say Marietta because that's the home office, but you'd be working in some other county. Or could there be some new weekly popping up in Marietta? Of course, it seems like it would say if it was a startup.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Am I to assume that this is the Marietta Daily Journal? Or could there be two shitty newspapers in the same city?

Either way, run and hide.

4. boots

boots New Member

It's for the MDJ Neighbor's Section.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

The ad says it's to supervise coverage and production of sports section for an Atlanta weekly so I don't think it's for the Marietta Daily Journal. Just a hunch.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Buck with the eye for detail. Good call.

Interviewed at the MDJ once ... shudder ... never again.

7. boots

boots New Member

Did you get the job and if you didn't what was the reason?

8. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Tough to argue with that, but I will make one simple caveat.

Being with one of their Neighbor publications actually isn't as bad as being with the MDJ itself. You have a good deal of autonomy to do what you want, at least within the parameters of covering your county. Otis the Destroyer doesn't meddle all that much with the Neighbor papers because he only really cares about Marietta/Cobb County.

That having been said, this is not a good job. Saying it's not as bad as the MDJ is akin to saying someone isn't as bad an actor as Keanu Reeves. Not necessarily the highest praise.

9. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

I hereby bequeath trophies from our now defunct fantasy football league called the Not For Long. In this league the two worst teams would meet in the Tidy Bowl, and the loser would get a plunger and a toilet seat.

Trust me, you'll feel like you've been in the crapper after you've been in this place a month.

10. boots

boots New Member

Instead of tearing down the MDJ or the Neighbors spot, let's try to put up some constructive criticism about this gig. Maybe it will help the person coming in MAKE a difference.

11. boots

boots New Member

Continuity to me seems to be the problem. I think once that is addressed, you won't see this opening pop up so frequently.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That is some riveting constructive criticism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.