1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Marble Falls, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Marble Falls Highlander has an immediate opening for a Sports Editor responsible for high school and community sports coverage in the Marble Falls area, about 50 miles west of Austin. Must be knowledgeable in all facets of sports writing, from game stories to enterprise features. Must have the ability to shoot photographs and use a hand-held digital video camera. While The Highlander publishes twice a week, we manage a daily web report, so the right candidate must be organized, able to meet deadlines and be a team player. Our sports editor works closely with our production team in designing our sports presentation. Experience a plus. Send resume and five samples of your work to Phil Schoch, Executive Editor, Highland Lakes Newspapers, P.O. Box 1000, Marble Falls, TX, 78654 or email to phil.schoch@highlandernews.com (830-693-4367).

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Home to the best pie you will EVAR find on this earth ... the Blue Bonnet Cafe. Right on the banks of the Colorado River. LBJ Lake and several wonderful wineries nearby.

Don't know what the paper or this job's like, but I give Marble Falls and central Texas, in general, two meringue's
    up.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i hate meringue

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

Good outdoors area not far from Austin and San Antonio. I don't think it's been a daily product for long, and the pay probably won't make it easy to buy a home on Horseshoe Bay.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

daily?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Daily on the web.

Mmmmmm ... Hill Country.

7. HLNsportsEd

HLNsportsEd New Member

This is my soon to be former gig. PM me or E-mail me at sports@highlandernews.com if you have any questions. I will say here that The Highlander won the TPA sweepstakes last year for its division, and also won for sports coverage at the STPA and the TPA as well as other awards such as column writing, news writing, sports photo and advertising. This is an excellent job for anyone starting out. The publisher Roy Bode used to run the Dallas Times Herald and the editor Phil Schoch was an editor there as well.

8. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Strangely, one of the few papers int he state I know nothing about.
    But, I'll second Three-bag-full, excellent pie. Oddly there are several awesome places for pie in the areas surrounding Austin, just not any (that I've found yet) in Austin itself.

9. HLNsportsEd

HLNsportsEd New Member

This position has been filled. Thanks for all that applied. We had a TON of qualified applicants from all over the country, but due the fact this is a one-man shop and my moving on at the end of the month, we had to act quickly and hire the most qualified local candidate.

For all of those interested the hire was Stephen Colwell formerly of the York News-Times (Nebraska). Colwell had been a freelance photographer and writer in the Austin area for the last year or so.

Draft saved Draft deleted