1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Longview Washington

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jul 14, 2010.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

FYI: Longview is about 2 hours south of Seattle. Here's the info...

The Daily News in Longview, Washington seeks a dynamic Sports Editor with excellent leadership and organizational skills who can make an immediate contribution to achieving a high level of excellence in our printed and online products with compelling sports coverage, enterprising sports news, and multimedia presentations.

This position requires a supervisor who can make sound decisions quickly, communicate well, train and coach reporters, edit copy, and produce attractive pages on deadline. This position requires strength as both an assigning editor and knowledge of good copy editing and page design techniques. Experience as a beat writer covering a pro or college team is desirable, but not required. The ability to craft eye-catching designs is a must, as are covering some of the marquee sports beats as a writer/columnist and working efficiently with content management on our website at www.tdn.com. This person also must wear deadline as comfortably as an old pair of spikes and be as organized as an official scorekeeper.

We are part of Lee Enterprises, a premier publisher of local news, information and advertising in primarily midsize markets, with 52 daily newspapers and a joint interest in six others, rapidly growing online sites and more than 300 weekly newspapers and specialty publications in 23 states.

Qualified candidates should apply online at www.lee.net/careers.

Salary based on experience and expertise. We are an equal opportunity/drug free employer.

Applicants must have, as a minimum, a bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Management experience is required. You'll need a bachelor's degree, excellent verbal skills, strong attention to detail, and at least three years on a daily newspaper of general circulation. Meanwhile, you'll live and play amid Washington's outdoor splendor. We're about a three-hour drive south of Seattle and 40 minutes north of Portland.

RESPOND HERE! Respond immediately by accessing the following dedicated online response form which will allow you to cut and paste your resume. This form will go directly and immediately to the hiring authority for this position. Access the online response form at: http://sh.webhire.com/servlet/resp/rf?jobid=2469771&boardid=1705

2. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Working in Washington, I should comment that it might be a bit longer than two hours to get to Seattle. Living in Shelton, I have seen that Washington is a dream for someone who likes the outdoors (fishing, hiking, etc.)

Don't know a lot about this paper. What is the salary range?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Interviewed there years ago. May have new management now.

4. CCaple

CCaple Member

They've recently hired a new (and very good, from what I've heard) publisher, and have had a fairly recent change at ME as well.

Would not be surprised to see this one filled from within.

5. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

What happened to Rick Alvord?

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

A quick look at the map show's it's closer to Portland than Seattle.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It's a little over an hour to PX, since you can drive 70-75 on that stretch of I-5.

There's a new summer wood bat baseball team in Longview, the local community college has decent sports teams, and there are lots of high schools in the area.

Not sure what happened to Rick. He was an excellent SE.

8. CCaple

CCaple Member

With moderate traffic at the right time of day, it's two hours to Seattle and maybe 50-60 minutes to Portland (this coming from someone who has made both drives many, many, many times).

Community college there (Lower Columbia College) is easily the best in the NWAACC when it comes to athletics. Baseball, men's and women's basketball and softball teams all compete for league titles every year, and are also regulars at their respective championship tournaments.

Pretty solid HS basketball scene there, too, including one of the best rivalries in the state, Mark Morris vs. R.A. Long (though I'm admittedly a tad biased on that one).

Oh, and they're getting a Super Wal-Mart.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That seals it. I'm sending my stuff.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Yes, the relatively new publisher is sharp. The paper was looking for a new editor, put the process on hold and has restarted it. Rick is good people (and the section was a top 10 in 2009); I haven't heard what he's doing next.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I agree. I strung for Rick two or three times, great guy to deal with. I'm curious what happened to him.

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

What kind of circulation are we talking about? Staff size? I flirted with the idea of applying here as a writer years ago, but didn't follow through. Always interested in going northwest.

Being close to Portland is a plus. Big fan of Portland here. Also close to Astoria, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted