1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Kerrville, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Kerrville Daily Times, approximately 60 miles northwest of San Antonio, seeks a sports editor who loves and can work well independently. Must-have skills include proficiency in InDesign, an understanding of newspaper design and high school sports and a firm grasp of AP style. RIght person will take progessive approach to covering sports and offer creative page design. Send five writing clips, three design clips and resume to Managing Editor Carlina Villalpando at news@dailytimes.com.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

"seeks a sports editor who loves"?

It is a fill-in-the blank thing?

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Hometown of one Jonathan Football, the most recent Heisman Trophy winner.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Nope. Just want someone with a kind heart. After all, you would be covering high school kids.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No idea what the sports scene is like, but the Texas hill country is rather pretty. It's also pretty much the last outpost of civilization before you get to El Paso.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

True.

A sports editor who Loves.

Eating and Praying are optional.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

This place has high turnover, especially in sports.

8. kenny ryan

kenny ryan New Member

I'm the outgoing sports editor (Not the person who wrote this posting, :eek: ), and I just wanted to drop by and vouch for job a bit.

Kerrville is a nice little town that loves its high school sports. The job covers six area high schools, the biggest of which is 4A Tivy, a regular playoff contender in most sports. The bulk of the job is covering these schools, though there are also several big golf tournaments and other local sporting events. You'll be inheriting two freelancers who are immensely helpful on game nights.

This is also the home town of Johnny Manziel, who the locals can't get enough of. This is where you'll get a real chance to shine and develop clips folks will notice. If you don't mind driving 4 hours, you've got every right to be in the A&M press box this year (8 home games on the docket) and might be able to cover the bowl game as well (in January, I was at the Cotton Bowl). If you want to go big on this beat, the potential is there to go really big.

As for the city, Kerrville is small (roughly 22k) and mostly full of retirees, so don't come here expecting a night life. This is a great place to focus on work for a while, put together some great stories and catch the eye of a larger paper, which is why the turnover rate is high. The readers are incredibly friendly and the kids are good interviews.

If anyone has any questions, shoot me a message or post it here and I'll do my best to check on it and get back to you. Best of luck. I highly recommend this job to anyone who loves a good challenge.

9. sshap36

sshap36 Member

I was the sports editor here from late January to July of last year, and left for a job in Austin. During 2012 they had four different sports editors and I started looking to get out in mid-May after they cut the sports staff from two to one -- while the managing editor was on vacation in Germany and I was given two hours notice they were cutting the other guy, to boot. (At that time I think the best advice I got from some people on this board was to start looking for another job and don't kill myself over trying to please a boss/paper that would do that, more on that here http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3345323/
    The people in the community are nice to work with, particularly some of the smaller town coaches who enjoy being covered, and the photo editor Tom Holden is one of the best you'll find at a paper that size. If you want any more information let me know.

10. See, I assumed it was a way to weed out cyborg applicants.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

That's what the Voight-Kampff Test is for.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Is the paper AM or PM? 7-day or less?

Draft saved Draft deleted